Steele County, MinnesotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Steele County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Steele County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1855|
|Address|| Steele County Courthouse|
111 E Main Street
Owatonna, MN 55060
Steele County Website
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1870,
marriage records from 1855, divorce, probate and court records
from 1858. County Recorder has land records from 1858. 
County seat: Owatonna 
- Blooming Prairie
- Blooming Prairie
- Clinton Falls
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
- Records of First Lutheran Church, Blooming Prairie, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Steele – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Steele County, Minnesota. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Civil War service men from Steele County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Steele County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company G.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Company C.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company F.
- - 10th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company A.
- - 2nd Minnesota Company Sharpshooters, Second Company only.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Steele County, Minnesota newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Owatonna People's Press ( February 1969- Current; Daily)
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Steele County, Minnesota page 368, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Steele County Government Webpage. http://www.co.steele.mn.us/about_steele_county/facts_and_figures.html (accessed November 7, 2011).
- ↑ "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:53.
- This page has been accessed 3,588 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki