Stithians, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Stithians, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Stithians Church Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||Redruth PLU|
|Parish registers: 1656|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
STITHIANS (St. Stedian), a parish, in the union of Redruth, E. division of the hundred of Kerrier, W. division of Cornwall, 9 miles (S. W.) from Truro. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Stithians (also known as St Stythians) is an Ancient parish in Cornwall
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Stithians, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Stithians, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 217
The images for the parish appear under the St Stithians way point a further waypoint Stithians exists at present and will be corrected in futrue by engineers. A further issue has arisen due to two filmings of the parish rgister affecting some periods. These await correction also.
One example is the Waypoint for Marriages 1754-1812 (Vol 217/1/6) displays Baptisms and burials register 1754-1812
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/q_s/stithians.php
The history registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Stithians Michael Bath.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241261.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 205-207. Date accessed: 23 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 15 August 2014, at 15:55.
- This page has been accessed 1,374 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki