Stoke Climsland, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Stoke Climsland, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Stoke Climsland, Cornwall|
Stoke Climsland Church Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||Launceston PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
STOKE-CLIMSLAND, a parish, in the union of Launceston, N. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 3 miles (N.) from Callington. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.
Stoke Climsland is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.Other places in the parish include: Upsett, Downgate, Downhouse, and Hampt.
The present church building is 15th century, with north and south aisles and a west tower. The tower is of granite and the wagon roofs are medieval.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Stoke Climsland, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Stoke Climsland, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P215
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/q_s/stoke_climsland.php
The history registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Stoke Climsland is Di Gibbs.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is unique film number.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
http://www.stokeclimslandparish.org/stoke_climsland_parish_church.htm for images and information about the church
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 217-220. Date accessed: 25 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 22 May 2014, at 22:10.
- This page has been accessed 1,073 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki