Stoke upon Trent, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Stoke upon Trent, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Stoke upon Trent, Staffordshire|
|Poor Law Union||Stoke on Trent PLU|
|Registration District||Stoke upon Trent|
|Parish registers: 1629|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1679|
|Rural Deanery||Stoke upon Trent|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Stoke upon Trent is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire. Other places in the parish include: Hartshill, Hope, Botteslow, Stoke, Boothen, and Northwood.
STOKE-UPON-TRENT (St. Peter ad Vincula), a newly-enfranchised borough, market-town, and parish, forming a union of itself, in the N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 1¾ mile (E.) from Newcastle-under-Lyme, and 150 miles (N. W. by N.) from London. In the town are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Methodists of the New Connexion. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Stoke upon Trent St Peter parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|STOKE UPON TRENT PARISH (1581) Online Records|
Hartshill chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|HARTSHILL CHAPELRY Online Records|
|FMP||1842-1876, 1884-1901||1842-1876, 1884-1901||1843-1876, 1879-1926||1843-1876, 1879-1926|
At Boothen services were held from 1870 in the school church built that year. An iron mission church was built in 1877 and replaced by the present stone church of All Saints erected in 1887–88.
Boothen All Saints parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOOTHEN ALL SAINTS (1888) Online Records|
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Stoke upon Trent, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474620.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 220-224. Date accessed: 05 November 2012.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 September 2016.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013; 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ Staffordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:48.
- This page has been accessed 2,042 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More