Stone County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Stone County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Stone County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||April 21, 1873|
|County Seat||Mountain View|
|Address|| Stone County Courthouse|
HC 71 Box 1427
Mountain View, AR 72560-0427
Stone County Courthouse
HC 71 Box 1427
Mountain View, AR 72560-0427
County Clerk has marriage and divorce records from 1873; Clerk Circuit Court has probate, land, military and court records from 1873.
Local histories are available for Stone County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- 1873--Stone County was created 21 April 1873 from Izard, Independence, Searcy, and Van Buren Counties.
County seat: Mountain View 
See an interactive map of Stone County boundary changes.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Stone County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1865-1928 - Stone County Marriage Index 1865-1928 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873-1953 - Stone County Marriage Index 1873-1953 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Mountain View Arkansas Family History Center 612 S Peabody Ave Mountain View AR 72560-9763 United States
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Stone County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 70.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 26 November 2013, at 22:02.
- This page has been accessed 2,463 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More