Stowe, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Stowe, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Stafford PLU|
|Parish registers: 1575|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1679|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Stowe by Chartley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire. Other places in the parish include: Great Heywood, Grindley, Drointon, Amerton, and Little Heywood. STOWE (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, union, and N. division of the county, of Stafford, 7 miles ( N. E. by E.) from Stafford. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Stowe by Chartley St John the Baptist Ancient parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|STOWE PARISH (1574) Online Records|
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by StaffordshireFreereg and can be searched for free.
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Stowe, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474623.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 234-238. Date accessed: 06 November 2012.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Staffordshire Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 29 April 2014, at 05:08.
- This page has been accessed 999 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki