Strood St Nicholas, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Strood, Kent family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Strood St Nicholas, Kent|
Strood St Nicholas Kent
|Hundred||Rochester City; Shamwell|
|Poor Law Union||North Aylesford PLU|
|Registration District||Medway; North Aylesford|
|Parish registers: 1565|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1718|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Strood is one of the Medway Towns in the Rochester district of Kent. See Strood Wikipedia which includes places of worship in Strood and Frindsbury.
The parish church of St Nicholas College Yard Strood has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building and refers to the church serving now as the Diocesan Architect's offices.
Other Anglican parishes included
Places of worship in Strood include
St Mary's Church Frindsbury was opened by Bishop Claughton in 1869 now operated by the New Testament Church of God.
Zoar Chapel High Street Strood 1782 - Protestant dissenters.
Gospel Mission Evangelical Church, Brompton Lane
Wesleyan Methodist Jubilee Church, Stonehorse Lane (now Cliffe Road)
English Martyrs Catholic Church
St Justus Catholic Church
Darnley Road Evangelical Church
St Francis' Anglican Church
Here is an important jurisdictional perspective by Samuel A. Lewis -
STROOD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of North Aylesford, partly within the jurisdiction of the city of Rochester, and partly in the hundred of Shamwell, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, ½ a mile (N. W.) from Rochester. There is a place of worship for Independents. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Strood St Nicholas, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Strood St Nicholas, Kent Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1565-1875||1565-1873; 1754-1821 (banns)||1565-1875|
International Genealogical Index Batch Numbers
- Christenings 1565-1875 Batches (J131321, K131321, C131322)
- Marriages 1565-1873 Batches (M131321, M131322)
Zoar Independent Chapel High Street Strood Christenings 1779-1837 Batch (C068641)
Strood St Francis of Assisi parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Strood St Francis of Assisi Parish Online Records|
Strood St Mary parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Strood St Mary Parish Online Records|
Images for Strood are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1832
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 250-252. Date accessed: 08 May 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Medway Ancestors Imagebase: list of parishes, in alphabetical order', Cityark, accessed 8 November 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 5 June 2014, at 19:53.
- This page has been accessed 3,000 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki