Stuart's Company, South Carolina Artillery (Beaufort Volunteer Artillery)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Beaufort Light Artillery was organized early in 1862 with men from Beaufort County. During January, 1865, the battery was assigned to B.H. Robertson's Brigade, then it served in Rhett's Battalion of Artillery, Army of Tennessee. It participated in the North Carolina Campaign and surrendered in April  .
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘South Carolina in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- South Carolina in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for South Carolina, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- Beaufort Artillery Battery, (accessed 2 Apr 2011). The Civil War in South Carolina. Historical sketch lists the battles this battery was engaged in.
- This page was last modified on 18 January 2013, at 02:20.
- This page has been accessed 639 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page