Sumter County, South Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Main article: Sumter County, South Carolina
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Surname indexes to Leonardo Andrea's Files | Folders | Resources are available online, courtesy: The Andrea Files: South Carolina Genealogical Research. Learn more.
Book that treat several Sumter County families include:
- Compton, Thomas Heflin. A Record of the Brunson-Capps-Tisdale & Johnson Families of Crenshaw County, Alabama. Inverness, Fla.: T.H. Compton, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 B838c.
- Sumter County, SC Family History and Genealogy Message Board (Ancestry)
- Sumter County, SC Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- [Andrews] Andrews, Robert W. The Life and Adventures of Capt. Robert W. Andrews, of Sumter, South Carolina: Extending Over a Period of 97 Years Replete with Startling Situations and Interesting Incidents. Together with Reminiscences of the War of 1812, and the Recent Unpleasantness Between the North and South. Boston: E.P. Whitcomb, 1887. FHL 6082606
- [Atkinson] Andrea, Leonardo. "Folder No. 25. James Atkinson of Sumter Co.," Genealogical Folders in the Leonardo Andrea Collection. MSS. Microfilmed 1974. FHL Film 954525.
- [Birchmore] Phelps, Dallas LeRoy. Birchmore Families of Sumter County, South Carolina. Camden, S.C.: D.L. Phelps, 1996. FHL 2055408 Item 5
- [Bradford] Gottschalk, Kathrine Cox. Descendants of John Bradford, Sr. of Sumter District, South Carolina. Typescript, microfilmed 1976. FHL 929.273 B727g
- [Brunson] Brunson, Ray D. and Jean Brunson. Brunson Descendants of John and Hannah Brownson of South Carolina Notes on Brunsons of St. Mark's Parish/Old Sumter District, South Carolina, Brunsons from South Carolina to Other States, the Sons of John and Hannah Brownson. Lafayette, La.: R. & J. Brunson, 1991. FHL 929.273 B838brj
- [Coker] Thigpen, Cynthia Jones. "Thomas Coker of Wilcox County, Alabama," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 33, No. 1 (Winter 2005):19-27. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 33
- [Cooper] Andrea, Leonardo. Cooper. Typescript, National Library, D.A.R. Microfilmed 1971. FHL Film 873024 Item 10.
- [DuBose] Paunov, Catherine Pennington. "Captain David DuBose," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 29, No. 2 (Spring 2001):72-78. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 29
- [Durant] Andrea, Leonardo. Durant. Typescript, Polk County Historical Library, Bartow, Fla. Microfilmed 1975: FHL Film 978080 Item 2.
- [Fullwood] Fullwood, Michael D. The Fullwood Family Being a Genealogy of the Fullwood Family in the United States and Its English Antecedents and the Pedigree of the Author Including All Collateral Families. Ancram, N.Y.: M.D. Fullwood, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 F959fmd.
- [Geddings] Record Book of Edward Geddings of Privateer and Sumter, South Carolina and His Descendants Geddings, McLeod, Jennings, Parker, Pritchard, Turner and Treasure. MSS., microfilmed 1975. FHL 928039 Item 14
- [Guignard], Arney R. Planters and Business Men: The Guignard Family of South Carolina, 1795-1930. Columbia, S.C.: University of South Carolina Press, 1957. FHL Book 929.273 G942c.
- [Haynsworth] Haynsworth, Hugh Charles. Haynsworth-Furman and Allied Families (Including Ancestry and Descendants of Sarah Morse Haynsworth). Sumter, S.C.: Osteen Publishing Co., 1942. FHL Book 929.273 H334h.
- [Holloman] McCaskill, Ollie Andrew and Dixie Miller McCaskill. The Holloman Genealogy of North and South Carolina, 1811-1983. Irmo, S.C.: A. & D. McCaskill, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 H727m.
- [Houston] Glenn, Thomas Allen. William Churchill Houston, 1746-1788 ... Norristown, Pa.: T.A. Glenn, 1903. FHL Film 1760317.
- [Jones] Terrar, Edward. Family History Information About Charles H. Jones (1833-1895) and Elizabeth Margaret David Jones (1831-1887) and Related Watts/David/Stafford/Macon/Brown/Benson Families in Sumter County, South Carolina. Silver Spring, Md.: E. Terrar, 1988. FHL 929.273 J712t
- [Kelley] Kelley, Mary Sutherland. Simon Kelley Sr. 1787-1852 and Descendants. Spartanburg, S.C.: Reprint Company Publishers, 2006. FHL Book 929.273 K287km.
- [Lee] Lee, Richard D. Lees, Whites, McCords and Doziers. Typescript, 1901. FHL Fiche 6018484.
- [Locklair] Brown, Gerald D. A Genealogy of a Locklair Family Mainly of the Old Sumter District of South Carolina - Present Day Sumter and Lee Counties. Hemingway, S.C.: Three Rivers Historical Society, 1995. FHL 929.273 L812b
- [McKenzie] Brown, Gerald D. Descendants of Daniel and Rebecca McKenzie Old Williamsburg/Sumter Districts of South Carolina. Hemingway, S.C.: Three Rivers Historical Society, 1995. FHL 929.273 M199b
- [Mellett] Mellett Family Records. MSS. FHL Film 835121 Item 2.
- [Pettypool] Hartsough, Carolyn S. "The William Pettypool Family of Southside Virginia: Lineage Reconstruction Based on Current Review of Evidence," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 47, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2003):57-75; Vol. 47, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2003):139-146. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Player] Player, Hubert E. Player Genealogical Records, 1759-1974. MSS. Microfilmed 1979: FHL Film 1036346 Item 1.
- [Prescott] Prescott, Adell Taylor. The Ancestors and Descendants of Benjamin Prescott of North Carolina and Sumter District, South Carolina Born ca.1752, Died Prior to 1830. Greenville, N.C.: A.T. Prescott, 1980. FHL 929.273 P921pb
- [Vaughan] Vaughan, Terry. Bloodgames: The Story of the Vaughans, a Southern Family, and Its Neighbors. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1998. FHL Book 929.273 V465vt.
- [Watts] True, Charles Wesley. Alexander McIntosh Watts & Martha Dandridge Spann. Hamilton, Texas: C.W. True, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 W349t.
- [Welch] Welch, Brian E. Welch Records in Sumter District and Other Areas of South Carolina. Columbia, S.C.: B.E. Welch, 1995. FHL 929.273 W442wb
- [West] Scott, Karen West. Genealogy and Family History of the William Nelson West (1775-1846) Family. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1998. FHL Book 929.273 W52sk.
- This page was last modified on 17 December 2012, at 20:00.
- This page has been accessed 3,546 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More