Sumter County, South Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Main article: Sumter County, South Carolina
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Surname indexes to Leonardo Andrea's Files | Folders | Resources are available online, courtesy: The Andrea Files: South Carolina Genealogical Research. Learn more.
Book that treat several Sumter County families include:
- Compton, Thomas Heflin. A Record of the Brunson-Capps-Tisdale & Johnson Families of Crenshaw County, Alabama. Inverness, Fla.: T.H. Compton, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 B838c.
- Sumter County, SC Family History and Genealogy Message Board (Ancestry)
- Sumter County, SC Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- [Andrews] Andrews, Robert W. The Life and Adventures of Capt. Robert W. Andrews, of Sumter, South Carolina: Extending Over a Period of 97 Years Replete with Startling Situations and Interesting Incidents. Together with Reminiscences of the War of 1812, and the Recent Unpleasantness Between the North and South. Boston: E.P. Whitcomb, 1887. FHL 6082606
- [Atkinson] Andrea, Leonardo. "Folder No. 25. James Atkinson of Sumter Co.," Genealogical Folders in the Leonardo Andrea Collection. MSS. Microfilmed 1974. FHL Film 954525.
- [Birchmore] Phelps, Dallas LeRoy. Birchmore Families of Sumter County, South Carolina. Camden, S.C.: D.L. Phelps, 1996. FHL 2055408 Item 5
- [Bradford] Gottschalk, Kathrine Cox. Descendants of John Bradford, Sr. of Sumter District, South Carolina. Typescript, microfilmed 1976. FHL 929.273 B727g
- [Brunson] Brunson, Ray D. and Jean Brunson. Brunson Descendants of John and Hannah Brownson of South Carolina Notes on Brunsons of St. Mark's Parish/Old Sumter District, South Carolina, Brunsons from South Carolina to Other States, the Sons of John and Hannah Brownson. Lafayette, La.: R. & J. Brunson, 1991. FHL 929.273 B838brj
- [Coker] Thigpen, Cynthia Jones. "Thomas Coker of Wilcox County, Alabama," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 33, No. 1 (Winter 2005):19-27. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 33
- [Cooper] Andrea, Leonardo. Cooper. Typescript, National Library, D.A.R. Microfilmed 1971. FHL Film 873024 Item 10.
- [DuBose] Paunov, Catherine Pennington. "Captain David DuBose," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 29, No. 2 (Spring 2001):72-78. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 29
- [Durant] Andrea, Leonardo. Durant. Typescript, Polk County Historical Library, Bartow, Fla. Microfilmed 1975: FHL Film 978080 Item 2.
- [Fullwood] Fullwood, Michael D. The Fullwood Family Being a Genealogy of the Fullwood Family in the United States and Its English Antecedents and the Pedigree of the Author Including All Collateral Families. Ancram, N.Y.: M.D. Fullwood, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 F959fmd.
- [Geddings] Record Book of Edward Geddings of Privateer and Sumter, South Carolina and His Descendants Geddings, McLeod, Jennings, Parker, Pritchard, Turner and Treasure. MSS., microfilmed 1975. FHL 928039 Item 14
- [Guignard], Arney R. Planters and Business Men: The Guignard Family of South Carolina, 1795-1930. Columbia, S.C.: University of South Carolina Press, 1957. FHL Book 929.273 G942c.
- [Haynsworth] Haynsworth, Hugh Charles. Haynsworth-Furman and Allied Families (Including Ancestry and Descendants of Sarah Morse Haynsworth). Sumter, S.C.: Osteen Publishing Co., 1942. FHL Book 929.273 H334h.
- [Holloman] McCaskill, Ollie Andrew and Dixie Miller McCaskill. The Holloman Genealogy of North and South Carolina, 1811-1983. Irmo, S.C.: A. & D. McCaskill, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 H727m.
- [Houston] Glenn, Thomas Allen. William Churchill Houston, 1746-1788 ... Norristown, Pa.: T.A. Glenn, 1903. FHL Film 1760317.
- [Jones] Terrar, Edward. Family History Information About Charles H. Jones (1833-1895) and Elizabeth Margaret David Jones (1831-1887) and Related Watts/David/Stafford/Macon/Brown/Benson Families in Sumter County, South Carolina. Silver Spring, Md.: E. Terrar, 1988. FHL 929.273 J712t
- [Kelley] Kelley, Mary Sutherland. Simon Kelley Sr. 1787-1852 and Descendants. Spartanburg, S.C.: Reprint Company Publishers, 2006. FHL Book 929.273 K287km.
- [Lee] Lee, Richard D. Lees, Whites, McCords and Doziers. Typescript, 1901. FHL Fiche 6018484.
- [Locklair] Brown, Gerald D. A Genealogy of a Locklair Family Mainly of the Old Sumter District of South Carolina - Present Day Sumter and Lee Counties. Hemingway, S.C.: Three Rivers Historical Society, 1995. FHL 929.273 L812b
- [McKenzie] Brown, Gerald D. Descendants of Daniel and Rebecca McKenzie Old Williamsburg/Sumter Districts of South Carolina. Hemingway, S.C.: Three Rivers Historical Society, 1995. FHL 929.273 M199b
- [Mellett] Mellett Family Records. MSS. FHL Film 835121 Item 2.
- [Pettypool] Hartsough, Carolyn S. "The William Pettypool Family of Southside Virginia: Lineage Reconstruction Based on Current Review of Evidence," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 47, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2003):57-75; Vol. 47, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2003):139-146. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Player] Player, Hubert E. Player Genealogical Records, 1759-1974. MSS. Microfilmed 1979: FHL Film 1036346 Item 1.
- [Prescott] Prescott, Adell Taylor. The Ancestors and Descendants of Benjamin Prescott of North Carolina and Sumter District, South Carolina Born ca.1752, Died Prior to 1830. Greenville, N.C.: A.T. Prescott, 1980. FHL 929.273 P921pb
- [Vaughan] Vaughan, Terry. Bloodgames: The Story of the Vaughans, a Southern Family, and Its Neighbors. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1998. FHL Book 929.273 V465vt.
- [Watts] True, Charles Wesley. Alexander McIntosh Watts & Martha Dandridge Spann. Hamilton, Texas: C.W. True, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 W349t.
- [Welch] Welch, Brian E. Welch Records in Sumter District and Other Areas of South Carolina. Columbia, S.C.: B.E. Welch, 1995. FHL 929.273 W442wb
- [West] Scott, Karen West. Genealogy and Family History of the William Nelson West (1775-1846) Family. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1998. FHL Book 929.273 W52sk.
- This page was last modified on 17 December 2012, at 20:00.
- This page has been accessed 3,260 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki