Surname ResearchEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Some sources available to show the meaning, origin and distribution of your surname are:
- Ancestry.com has maps that show the geographic distribution of surnames from the United States census records, and surname distribution for England and Wales from the 1891 census and some history of surnames.
- United Kingdom and Ireland distribution maps and meanings: http://forebears.co.uk/surnames
- United Kingdom and Ireland distribution mapping: http://www.rootsmap.com/
- Belgium distribution mapping: http://www.familienaam.be/
- Great Britain distribution mapping: http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/default.aspx
- France distribution mapping: http://www.genealogie.com/v2/services-nom-de-famille/nom.asp?rubrique=prenoms&page=noms-popularite&nom=&x=25&y=13
- Italy distribution mapping: http://gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html
- Scotland distribution mapping: http://www.spatial-literacy.org/UCLnames/Surnames.aspx
- United States distribution mapping: http://www.hamrick.com/names/
- Wales distribution mapping: http://www.spatial-literacy.org/UCLnames/Surnames.aspx
- Surname Origin & Last Name Meanings. Origin of Surnames -by Kathi Reid
- New Zealand Family History Moments: A Link to Our Past and a Bridge to Our Future an interactive gathering place of family connections from around the world http://familyhistorymoments.weebly.com/
The British 19th Century Surname Atlas, by Archer Software shows distribution maps for surnames and given names found in the 1881 census of England, Wales and Scotland. This program is available on the patron computers at the Family History Library.
The Surnames Handbook by Debbie Kennett. (The History Press, 2012). Includes a chapter on surname mappping.
Surnames In Genealogy: A New Approach by George Redmond
“Surnames: their meanings and origins” by Diane Snyder Ptak; (Family History Library book 929.42 P959s); (General guide to characteristics of surnames and sources for further reading, by country, with emphasis on Europe and North America.) Not currently on microfilm.
“Searching for surnames: a practical guide to their meanings and origins”, by John Titford; (Family History Library book 942 D4tj) ; (Contains entries for names with British Isles origins.) Not currently on microfilm.
“Family origins” compiled by Lillian Ramos Navarro Wold ; (Family History Library book 980 D4w); (Translation from Spanish to English from the series of Hispanic surname origins published in 1994 on the Excelsior newspaper in the Culturales-Heráldica section. Each of the surname articles include a brief genealogy of some people carrying the surname published, most of them residing in California.) (Traducción al inglés de la publicación de la serie orígen de apellidos hispanos en la sección Culturales-Heráldica del diario Excelsior en el año 1994. Incluye índice de apellidos. Cada artículo de la serie incluye brevemente la genealogía de una persona que lleva el apellido y que vive en California.) Not currently on microfilm.
"Welsh Surnames" by T. J. Morgan and Prys Morgan
“German-American names” by George F. Jones; (Family History Library book 973 D4j 1995); (Etymologies of German-American surnames, exploring their historical roots and meanings.) Not currently on microfilm.
For a current listing of individuals who are searching the same surname as you are searching, go to: http://rsl.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/rslsql.cgi
- This page was last modified on 8 September 2014, at 22:02.
- This page has been accessed 7,193 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page