Sussex County, DelawareEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sussex County Delaware genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sussex County, Delaware|
Location in the state of Delaware
Location of Delaware in the U.S.
|Founded||August 8, 1673|
|Address|| Administrative Office Building, 1st Floor, 2 The Circle|
PO Box 589
Georgetown, DE 19947
Phone: (302) 855-7785 Sussex County Courthouse
Formerly known as Deale County, the name was changed to Sussex on 4 Dec 1682.
The Recorder of deeds has land records from 1693.
Register of Wills houses the probate records
Sussex County, Delaware Historical Facts
Because of the ongoing boundary disputes between Lord Baltimore of Maryland and William Pitt of Pennsylvania, much of Sussex County (excepting a few miles inland from the coast) was also recognized as part of Maryland's Somerset County up through 1760. Both Pennsylvania (and, after 1710, Delaware) and Maryland issued land patents for the area, sometimes in conflict with each other.
The British Crown ordered the dispute to be settled in 1760, and commissioned Charles Mason and Jermiah Dixon to survey the boundary. In 1769, the survey was completed, defining the border between Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania that exists today.
The border between Sussex and Kent Counties, Delaware was set in 1683 and has not changed since then.
For animated maps illustrating Delaware County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Delaware County Boundary Maps" (1673-1841) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Places / Localities
Hundreds: More information can be found at Delaware Hundreds.
Sussex County, Delaware Genealogy Resources
For tips on accessing Sussex County, Delaware census records online, see: Delaware Census.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political and Religious Groups
- United States Geographic Survey Place Names - GNIS for Sussex County (over 1990 entries)
(may not always be present in alphabetic order on first try.)
Land and Porperty
Naturalization and Citizenship
- DeValinger, Leon. A Calendar of Sussex County, Delaware Probate Records, 1680-1800. Dover, Delaware: Public Archives Commission, 1964.
- Moore, Marguerite R. indexes for Sussex 1800-1869, three volumes(Westminster, Md.: Family Line Publications, 1995-97.)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Sussex County, DE History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Delaware Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Sussex County NYGenWeb Project, an member of The DEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Sussex County
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Sussex County
- Sussex County, Delaware Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Sussex County Genealogy (Delaware Genealogy)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sussex, Delaware Page 121 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 23:40.
- This page has been accessed 5,471 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki