Sutton on Plym, DevonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sutton on Plym, Devon family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Sutton on Plym, Devon|
|Hundred||Plymouth Borough; Roborough|
|Poor Law Union||Plymouth PLU|
|Parish registers: 1850|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
SUTTON-ON-PLYM St John the Evangelist is situated in Exeter Street, Plymouth. It is an ecclesiastical parish formed on June 3rd 1844 from the parish of St. Charles.
Plymouth, seaport, and naval station, Devon, on Plymouth Sound, between the estuaries of the Plym and Tamar, 53 miles SW. of Exeter by rail. Plymouth, in the larger sense, consists of the " Three Towns " of Devon-port, Stonehouse, and Plymouth, the two first forming the borough of Devonport (which see). Plymouth proper is built upon 2 eminences and the hollow between them. 
John Marius Wilson, description was:
SUTTON-ON-PLYM, a chapelry in Charles-the-Martyr parish, Devon; within Plymouth borough. It was constituted in 1844; and its Post town is Plymouth.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 7 May 2014, at 16:26.
- This page has been accessed 980 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki