Talk:Albany County, New YorkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|WikiProject New York|
New York State Censuses
Saw the format to be good idea for the state censuses but can I suggest a change since it is county level?
Delete "County name" in first county, and in the place, line by line, "FHL", "FamilySearch" and "NYSL" and under each subsequent column, mark yes or no with Yes being linked? There is possibility of another site having the images, too, making it easier to go this way of format instead of current one, with one simple step of quick adding line. dsammy 21:35, 2 July 2009 (UTC)
- I am sorry to jump in on this conversation. Would the discussion page for that article be a good place to discuss this? I think a sample would be a good idea. Is this the page you are referring to? Thomas Lerman 21:52, 2 July 2009 (UTC)
- I am in the middle of helping someone who is working on that page. She wanted to learn how to do a few things in the Wiki, and we were using that section of the New York Census page to train. She is actually working on developing the content on in that section and we were discussing some ideas for improving the table. Thanks Dsammy for pointing out a few ideas for improvement - that's exactly what we were talking about. I also agree this discussion should have gone on the Discussion page - that way anyone who has another idea can also join in on the conversation. Any objections to copying these comments to the Discussion page for the article? -Fran 22:02, 2 July 2009 (UTC) No objection from me! The format can be used for few others states like Iowa, Wisconsin, Washington and South Dakota with several years of state/territorial censuses. dsammy 23:22, 2 July 2009 (UTC)
Albany County State census
dsammy, I like your format idea for the county census. I have been working on the New York State Census page and was thinking about cutting each county out of that to put on the county page as well - that is why you see the Albany county listing. Allegany county is another one I tried out. Do you have an idea that could work for both the New York State Census page as well as the county pages to list state census available? lsgc 20:20, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
- I believe it is doable to do it. Transfer the critical portions to the counties, leaving only a table with the links to the county pages. Is that you are thinking of? dsammy 01:04, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
Liked the improved appearance but tweaked the coding to eliminate excess empty space in first column and stretching the table to fill in wide empty space between table and right edge. dsammy 18:26, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
Thanks dsammy ! I also put in bars in the spaces. lsgc 12:52, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
That is even better. dsammy 20:07, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
The "Inuse" template has been added for a few days in preparation for a community discussion of this page as a model New York county page. DiltsGD 20:36, 16 September 2011 (UTC)
Repository Heading for Albany
I've tried to create an example of the Repository section for Albany New York without the subheadings we discussed in yesterday's community meeting.. I strongly believe that having nothing under the heading leaves for confusion on finding what you want, so I made each repository a heading. Yeah, I know some of you are not going to like that, but I wanted to see what it would look like. Please check it out and give me some feedback on what you like/hate....
BatsonDL 19:53, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
At present, Guilderland, New York town page does not have anything for Repositories. This page (Albany County, New York) incudes the Guilderland Public Library. I realize that New York pages are a work-in-progress, but wondered how that kind of cross-reference might best be handled. In the case of Guilderland Public Library, it seems to me that it belongs on the town page, with a link back to the county page, as follows:
| Albany county page
|| Guilderland town page|
Guilderland Public Library
Guilderland Public Library
For libraries that have broader county collection, I would expect to see the library listed on the county page, with a "See also,..." on each applicable town page. (Maybe?) Lise 19:55, 7 December 2011 (UTC)
- This page was last modified on 20 December 2011, at 19:12.
- This page has been accessed 813 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki