Tallahatchie County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Tallahatchie County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
County CourthouseTallahatchie County Courthouse
PO Box Drawer 350;
Charleston, MS 38921
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1909.
Clerk Chancery Court has divorce and probate records from 1909 land records from 1858. 
1833--Tallahatchie County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Charleston 
For tips on accessing Tallahatchie County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Civil War service men from Tallahatchie County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Tallahatchie County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company D - Tillatoba Grays
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company I - Eskridge’s Company
- - 32nd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company F - Southern Farmers
- - 11th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Tallahatchie Guards Independent Cavalry
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information see Mississippi Taxation.
- 1856-1916 - Tallahatchie County Marriage Books 2-11 Index 1856-1916 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tallahatchie County, Mississippi page 383, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 11 May 2013, at 17:40.
- This page has been accessed 1,424 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More