Taney County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Taney County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Taney County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Address|| Taney County Courthouse|
132 David Street
Forsyth, Mo 65653-0156
Taney County Website
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce, court and
land records; Probate Judge has probate records; County
Clerk has voter registration records from 1961
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Taney County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Taney County, Missouri (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map to Taney County
Early migration routes to and from Taney County, Missouri for European and African American settlers included:
- Fold3.com ($) has Civil War and other military records available online.
Civil War Battles
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Taney County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office.
- Marriage licenses dating back to 1826 are available to be searched and viewed at http://records.jacksongov.org/search.asp?cabinet=marriage.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Branson Missouri Family History Center 224 Church Rd, Branson, MO 5616-9273 United States
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Taney County, Missouri. Page 406 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Jim Tompkins, "The Oregon Trail 1841-1848 Map I" in Oregon Trail Landmarks at http://www.oregonpioneers.com/OTMap1.jpg (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ "Oregon California Trails Association" at http://octatrails.micromaps.com/ (accessed 18 July 2011).
- This page was last modified on 3 December 2013, at 22:29.
- This page has been accessed 3,016 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More