Tarvin, CheshireEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

England Gotoarrow.png Cheshire Gotoarrow.png Cheshire Parishes

Guide to Tarvin, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Tarvin, Cheshire
Type Ancient Parish
Civil Jurisdictions
Hundred Broxton; Eddisbury
County Cheshire
Poor Law Union Great Boughton PLU
Registration District Great Boughton
Records begin
Parish registers: 1563; Separate registers exist for Ashton Hayes beginning 1849 and for Hargrave beginning 1744
Bishop's Transcripts: 1584; Separate records exist for Ashton Hayes beginning 1849 and for Hargrave beginning 1632
Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions
Rural Deanery Chester
Diocese Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester
Province York
Legal Jurisdictions
Probate Court Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)
Location of Archive
Cheshire Record Office

Contents

Parish History

TARVIN, is a village, a township, and a parish, in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The village stands 3 miles NE of Waverton railway station, and 5½ E of Chester; and has a post-office under Chester. The township includes Oscroft hamlet; and contains ten other townships.  The living is a vicarage, with the chapelries of Duddon and Kelsall.There are three dissenting chapels, an endowed; and various places of worship  are in the other townships.[1]

Tarvin St Andrew  is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Hargrave, Foulk Stapleford, Hockenhull, Hockenhull Stapleford, Horton cum Peel, Horton cum Peele, Horton with Peele, Kelsall, Kelsall on the Hill, Little Mouldsworth, Mouldsworth, Oscroft, Stapleford, Ashton, Ashton Hayes, Bruen Stapleford, Burton by Tarvin, Clotton, Clotton Hoofield, Clotton Hoolfield, Duddon, Faulk Stapleford, and Hockenhall.

An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Ashton, Bruen Stapleford, Burton (near Tarvin), Clotton Hoofield, Duddon, Foulk Stapleford, Hockenhull, Horton cum Peel, Kelsall, Mouldsworth and Tarvin. Extended in 1964 to include Prior's Heys.  

Tarvin was a township in Tarvin Parish, Eddisbury Hundred, which became a civil parish in 1866 and included the hamlets of Austins Hill, Broombank, Duddon Heath (part), Old Moss, Oscroft, Tarvin Sands (part), Weetwood and Willington Corner (part).

Tarvin is a village in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England.

The original church on the site was built in the 12th century. It was remodelled in the 14th century and the south wall and south arcade date from this time. The remainder of the church was rebuilt in the 15th century and the chancel was restored in the 18th century. The tower was built in the 15th century and the north aisle was added after this. Further restorations took place in the 18th and 19th centuries, followed by one in 1908 by F. P. Oakley.

Resources

Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241237.

For indexes to census data for Kelsall, see Don Dickson's web site.

Church records

Tarvin St Andrew parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:

BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)[2]
FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers
FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts
Tarvin St Andrew Parish (1563) Online Records

Baptisms
Marriages
Burials

Indexes Images Indexes Images Indexes Images
BIVRI 1816-1850, 1870-1895
1815-1837

FS PR's 1563-1910
  NONE
1563-1934
  NONE
1563-1982
  NONE
FS BT'S {RecordSearch|1469935| 1601-1895}}   NONE
1601-1903
  NONE
1601-1903
  NONE

To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.

Tarvin, St. Andrew (C of E). An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Ashton, Bruen Stapleford, Burton (near Tarvin), Clotton Hoofield, Duddon, Foulk Stapleford, Hockenhull, Horton cum Peel, Kelsall, Mouldsworth and Tarvin. Extended in 1964 to include Prior's Heys. Registers of Baptisms 1563–1926, Marriages 1563–1999 and Burials 1563–1993 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office. Bishop's transcripts for Tarvin, 1584-1903 Cheshire, Church of England baptismal and marriage records are available online at FamilySearch Historical Records.

 Microfilm of original records in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester, England. Records are not arranged in strict chronological order. Some intermittent years are missing. Cheshire Record Office no.: EDB/194

Bishop's Transcript Content FHL Film
Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1584, 1601, 1603-1608, 1610-1611, 1616, 1622-1625, 1629-1641, 1663, 1666-1668, 1670-1686, 1690-1691, 1695-1730. BRITISH 1850101
Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1731-1795, 1797, 1799-1814. Baptisms, marriages, 1815. BRITISH 1850102
Baptisms, 1846 (part). Marriages, burials, 1815. Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1816-1837, Baptisms, burials, 1838-1845. BRITISH 1850124
Baptisms, 1846-1895. Burials, 1846-1903. BRITISH 1850125

Parish registers for Tarvin, Cheshire 1563-1993, Church of England burial records are available online at FamilySearch Historical  Records,
Microfilm of original records in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester, England. Cheshire Record Office call no.: P9/1/1-3, P9/2/1-5, P9/3/1-4, P9/4/1-2, P9/5/1-7, P9/4941/3.

Parish register Content FHL Film
Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1563-1736. Baptisms, 1737-1772. Marriages, 1737-1753. Burials, 1737-1782. BRITISH 1999731
Baptisms, 1772-1926. BRITISH 1999732
Marriages, 1754-1950. Banns, 1832. BRITISH 1999755
Banns, 1832-1901. Burials, 1782-1951. BRITISH 1999756 Items 1 - 9
Burials, 1951-1993. BRITISH 2262741 Item 2

Kelsall St. Philips Anglican Church Marriage Register 1869-1899 is transcribed at this site.

For an index to the tithe awards go to Don Dickson's site.

Non-Conformist Churches

From an early period, Methodist churches were organised in circuits, each of which was based upon a headquarters church and served by a number of preachers, who visited the churches in rotation. This organisation is reflected in the records, some of which relate specifically to the circuits and others to the numerous circuit churches, many of which have now closed. Circuit records include minute books; schedule books; account books; roll books of class members; circuit plans and circuit reports.

Records of churches include baptism and marriage registers; minute books; account books; roll books; correspondence; and printed material. In addition to the records referred to below, there are unlisted records relating to various circuits and churches comprising 24 bundles, 18 other items, c.1815-1983 (CR 55; CR 459) Circuits St. John Street (CR 55/1-42; CR 55/2/1-10) This circuit was established c.1765, with headquarters at the Octagon Chapel until 1812, when the Wesleyans moved to St. John Street.

It amalgamated with Hunter Street Circuit in 1959. 49 volumes., 1 bundle, 2 other items. 1788-1963 George Street (CR 55/130; CR 55/2/11-13; CR 78/1-38; CR 94/1-29) This Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1825, with headquarters in Steam Mill Street.

The circuit headquarters moved to George Street in 1863 and in 1963, it amalgamated with Grosvenor Park Circuit and Tarvin Road Circuit. 61 volumes., 10 bundles 1834-1970 Hunter Street (CR 55/133-141; CR 226/13-18, 20, 22, 24-32, 34) This Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1874, with headquarters in Commonhall Street. The circuit headquarters moved to Hunter Street in 1899 and in 1959, it amalgamated with St. John Street Circuit. 27 volumes. 1874-1959 Tarvin Road (CR 55/156-165; CR 94/38)

This Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1889, with headquarters in Tarvin Road. It amalgamated with Grosvenor Park Circuit and Hunter Street Circuit in 1963. 9 volumes., 2 bundles. 1890-1963 Grosvenor Park (CR 55/171-173; CR 2/14-18) This circuit was established in 1959, when St. John Street Circuit amalgamated with Hunter Street Circuit. In 1963, it amalgamated with George Street Circuit to form the present Chester Circuit. 5 volumes., 2 bundles, 1 other item 1953-63 Chester (CR 55/2/19-25)

Tarvin, Trinity Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1849, rebuilt in 1983. Registers 1894–1924 are at the Cheshire Record Office. Trinity Methodist Chapel, Tarvin: Sunday school attendance record 1963-69 (EMS 305)

Cheshire BMD index includes marrriages Tarvin, Trinity Methodist Church 1930 Cheshire West AP17 1930-1950
Tarvin, Zion Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Built in 1875, closed in 1983. Registers 1876–1928 and 1948–1983 are at the Cheshire Record Office. Church records for the Zion Primitive Methodist Chapel, Tarvin, 1876-1928 

Cheshire Non-conformist records are available online in Record Search Microfilm of original records in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester, England.Cheshire Record Office call no.: EMS 291/1.

Other Content FHL Film
Baptisms, 1876-1928. BRITISH 2299525 Item 21

Cheshire BMD index includes marriages Tarvin, Zion Methodist Church 1948 Cheshire West AP26 1948-1958

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:

Registration Districts
  • Great Boughton (1837-1869
  • Chester (1870-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire East (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)

Poor Law Unions

  • Great Boughton

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

see also England Cheshire Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Websites

Tarvin on GENUKI

References

  1. John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and wales (1870-72). Date Accessed: 10 April 2013
  2. 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 14 October 2013.

 

Need additional research help? Contact our research help specialists.

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).

  • This page was last modified on 17 November 2014, at 20:18.
  • This page has been accessed 4,346 times.