Tattnall County, Georgia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Tattnall County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Tattnall County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 5, 1801|
|Address|| Tattnall County Courthouse|
Main and Brazell Streets
Reidsville, GA 30453
Tattnall County Website
Tattnall County Courthouse
Main and Brazell Streets
Reidsville, GA 30453
Probate Court has birth, marriage, death and probate records; Clerk Superior Court has divorce records from 1880, court and land records
Clerk of Superior Court
111 North Main Street
P.O. Box 39
Reidsville, GA 30453
Telephone: (912) 557-6716
Fax: (912) 557-4861
Probate Court of Tattnall County
PO Box 699
Reidsville, GA 30453
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
No reported loss or damage.
Cobbtown | Collins | Glennville | Manassas | Reidsville
- 1866-1872 - Tattnall County Colored Marriage Index 1866-1872. Batch M713776 at FamilySearch - free.
US Vol. 5
- page 109 - Beards Creek Cemetery
- page 130 - Birdford Cemetery
- page 131 - Ebenezer Cemetery
- page 142 - Eason Family Cemetery
- page 142 - Sebron Cemetery
- page 143 - Daniel Cemetery
- page 143 - Zion Cemetery
- page 144 - Dowdy Family Cemetery
- page 144 - Parker Family Cemetery
- page 144 - Perry Collins Family Cemetery
- page 145 - Hammock Family Cemetery
- page 146 - Kennedy Cemetery
- page 146 - DeLoach Cemetery
- page 148 - Rewis Family Cemetery
- page 149 - Rogers Chapel Cemetery
- page 149 - Harmony Church Cemetery
- page 150 - Union Methodist Church Cemetery
- page 150 - Lynn Family Cemetery
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
- Beard's Creek Church, Glenville, Georgia, 1804 Members Georgia Pioneers
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Tattnall County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Tattnall County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Tattnall County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 11th Battalion, Georgia Infantry (State Guards) (Confederate) , Company G
- - 47th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company G
- - 61st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies B and H
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Tattnall County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Tattnall County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742 – 1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742 – 1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at [https:familysearch.org FamilySearch] images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills, Guardians, Administrations, 1857-1862 (digita images) Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
- 1811 Tax Digest Georgia Pioneers
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1785 - 1950 Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1808 - 1967 Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
1828 - 1978 Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $ 1699 - 1944 Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1806-1873 - Tattnall County Marriage Index 1806-1873. Batch M713771 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1850-1873 - Tattnall County Marriage Index 1850-1873. Batch M713772 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873-1884 - Tattnall County Marriage Books E and F Index 1873-1884. Batch M713773 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1884-1890 - Tattnall County Marriage Books G and H Index 1884-1890. Batch M713774 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1889-1895 - Tattnall County Marriage Books J and D Index 1889-1895. Batch M713775 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1933 - 1998 Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1914 - 1927 Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1928 - 1938 Georgia Deaths 1928-1938 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- Tattnall County, Georgia Obituary and Death Notice Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. Obits and death notices from Various Funeral Homes in the Glennville, Reidsville, Collins, Cobbtown, and Manassas areas.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Tattnall County Historical Society
PO Box 2012
Reidsville, GA 30453-2012
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See [[Introduction to LDS Family History Centers|Family History Center] for more information. Search the [https://familysearch.org/ask/help#localResource online FHC director for a nearby family history center.
- Tattnall County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Tattnall County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tattnall County, Georgia. Page 160 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 53. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 7 October 2015, at 18:24.
- This page has been accessed 9,851 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News