Taunton St Mary Magdalene, Somerset GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Taunton St Mary Magdalene, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Taunton St Mary Magdalene, Somerset|
|Poor Law Union||Taunton PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1601|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Taunton|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
Taunton St Mary Magdalene with also the ancient parish of St James lay within the borough and market-town, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Taunton and Taunton-Dean, W. division of Somerset, 11 miles (S. by W.) from Bridgwater. Wilton, Staplegrove, West Monckton, are adjoining parishes. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents (from 1797), Unitarians, and Wesleyans; and the Roman Catholics have a handsome chapel. The Taunton and Somerset hospital was founded in 1809.
Taunton Township comprises the parish of St. James and the chapel of St. Mary Magdalene; but many houses extend into the adjoining parishes of Wilton and Bishop's-Hull. Another church has been erected within the boundary of St James Taunton, dedicated to the Holy Trinity in 1842.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Taunton St Mary Magdalene, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|TAUNTON ST MARY MAGDALENE PARISH Online Records|
||1605-1839 (gaps)|| |
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474611.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 25 September 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 17 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ West Somerset Parish Register Transcriptions, accessed 22 October 2013.
- This page was last modified on 30 April 2015, at 22:22.
- This page has been accessed 3,035 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News