Tennessee Bible RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Many families traditionally recorded genealogies in their family Bible. These are a good source of information about immediate family members and relatives, including names of parents, children, their spouses, and their dates of birth, marriage, and death. For some families, Bible records may have the only recorded vital statistics information. Family Bibles that are no longer in possession of the family may be at a historical or genealogical society.
The best resource for Tennessee family Bible information is:
- Daughters of the American Revolution (Tennessee). Genealogy Bible Treasures: A Digital Photo Preservation and Index of Pre-depression Era Bible Records. Knoxville, Tenn.: Tennessee Valley Pub., 2009. FHL book 976.8 V2g and CD-ROM no. 6799. Read Dick Eastman's review.
Additional family Bible resources for Tennessee include:
- Acklen, Jeannette Tillotson. Tennessee Records: Bible Records and Marriage Bonds. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publications, 1967. FHL Film 823813, Item 4; book 976.8 D2aj. A surname index is included. The record contains Bible records, marriage bonds, various tombstone inscriptions, obituary notices, abstracts from wills, historical and biographical sketches, and pension records. The name, parents’ names, and date of birth of slaves are sometimes given.
- Owens, Fae Jacobs. Bible Records, Hatchie Chapter, National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution Bolivar, Hardeman County, Tennessee. Bolivar, Tennessee: Bolivar Commercial Printing, 1977.FHL book 976.829/B1 D2d. A surname index is included. The record includes birth, marriage, and death information.
- Tennessee State Library and Archives, Manuscript Section. Bible Record Collection, ca. 1700–1970. Nashville, Tennessee: State Library and Archives, 1974. FHL film 975600–04. The records are arranged alphabetically by family name, then given name. They contain birth, death, and marriage dates of immediate family members, and occasionally dates of servants, slaves, and others. They also include the years the records cover, the county where the Bible was found, and the owner’s name and city.
- Watauga Association of Genealogists. Tennessee Bible and Family Records. Johnson City, Tenn.: Watauga Association of Genealogists, 1996. FHL book 976.8 V2wa.
Bible records donated to the Tennessee State Library and Archives since 1970 are included in the library’s vertical file. A card file at the archive provides access.
The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) collection also contains many Tennessee Bible records. This collection is described in the Tennessee Genealogy wiki article. A partial index of these records is in:
- Bible Records of Families of East Tennessee and Their Connections from Other Areas. Three Volumes. Knoxville, Tennessee: Genealogical Records Committee of Knoxville Chapter, Daughters of the American Colonists and James White Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, 1959–1960. free online digital copy; FHL Film 874325 Items 1–2; book 976.8 D2d, free online digital copy; FHL film;874326; fiche 6051515–17; book 976.8 D2d vols. 2-3. An index is included with each volume.
Also useful for locating Tennessee Bible records:
- Kirkham, E. Kay. An Index to Some of the Family Records of the Southern States: 35,000 Microfilm References from the N.S.D.A.R. Files and Elsewhere. Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1979. FHL fiche 6089183; book 973 D22kk v. 1
Many periodicals publish family data from Bible records. They can be identified by using Allen County Public Library's PERiodical Source Index (PERSI), which is available online at both Ancestry ($) and Heritage Quest Online ($).
Copies, or abstracts of old family Bibles that are no longer known to exist, may survive in Revolutionary War Pension application files at NARA, Washington, D.C., which are available online at three commercial websites: Ancestry, Footnote, and Heritage Quest Online.
Published Tennessee Bible information and sources can be found in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
TENNESSEE - BIBLE RECORDS
TENNESSEE, [COUNTY] - BIBLE RECORDS
- This page was last modified on 7 July 2012, at 23:17.
- This page has been accessed 3,475 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More