Tennessee State Marriage Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Tennessee State Marriage Index, 1780-2002 .
The collection consists of an index to marriages from the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The index is provided by Ancestry.com. This collection indexes records from 1780 to 2002.
The index may include the following information:
- Name of bride and groom
- Marriage date and place
- Name of spouse (May only list surname)
- Reference ID - Page/Volume/Entry/Certificate Number
How to Use the Record
When searching the index it is helpful to know the following:
- Names of the bride and groom
- Marriage place
- Marriage date
Search the Collection
Fill in your ancestor’s name in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips.
Using the Information
Use the locator information found in the index (such as page, entry, or certificate number) to locate your ancestor in the marriage records from Tennessee. Compare the information in the record to what you already know about your ancestor to determine if this is the correct marriage. You may need to compare the information of more than one marriage to make this determination.
|FHL Place United States, Tennessee items or FHL Keyword Tennessee items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Tennessee Archives and Libraries.|
- Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Tennessee Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry ($).
- Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002 at Ancestry ($).
- Tennessee Marriages, 1851-1900 at Ancestry ($).
- Tennessee Marriage and Bible Records at Ancestry ($).
Related Wiki Articles
- Tennessee County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Tennessee Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Tennessee Vital Records
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for this Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Tennessee, State Marriage Index, 1780-2002." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing "Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002." Ancestry.com. www.ancestry.com : 2008.
- This page was last modified on 3 September 2014, at 22:37.
- This page has been accessed 17,737 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page