Tenterden, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Tenterden, Kent family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Tenterden PLU|
|Parish registers: 1544|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1813|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Tenterden is a Cinque Port town in the Ashford district of Kent; see Tenterden Wikipedia for a history of the town.
Tenterden St Mildred is an Ancient Parish in the town
The Parish Church of St Mildred has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
The church of St Michael Ashford Road Tenterden has been designated as a grade C listed building British listed building
See Edward Hasted 'The hundred, town and parish of Tenterden', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 7 (1798), pp. 200-219. Date accessed: 18 November 2013. at British History Online and Kent Churches website
Other places of worship in Tenterden included:
Honey Lane Baptist Church
Providence Chapel Boar’s Isle, ( Bible Christian)
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Tenterden St Mildred parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Kent, Parish Registers (FamilySearch) - free|
|MIDK = Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911 - free|
|Tenterden St Mildred Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1780-1901 (banns)|
Tenterden St Michael and All Angels parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Tenterden St Michael and All Angels Parish Online Records|
International Genealogical Index
- Honey Lane Baptist Christenings 1785-1837 Batch (C091701)
- Presbyterian Christenings 1736-1837 Batch (C068661)
- Providence Chapel, Boar’s Isle, ( Bible Christian) Christenings 1830-1837 Batch (C068681)
- Wesleyan Methodist Christenings 1819-1837 Batch (C068671)
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
TENTERDEN (St. Mildred), a market-town andparish, within the cinque-port liberties, having separate jurisdiction, and forming the head of a union, locally in the hundred of Tenterden, Lower division of ihe lathe of Scray, W. division of Kent, 18 miles (S. E. by S.) from Maidstone, and 53 (S. E. by E.) from London. 
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911,' Woodchurch Ancestry Group, accessed 16 January 2014.
- ↑ Lewis,Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 314-321.Date accessed: 29 May 2013.
- This page was last modified on 5 June 2014, at 20:12.
- This page has been accessed 2,702 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki