Texas, Matagorda County, School Census Records (FamilySearch Historical Collection)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Texas, Matagorda County, School Census Records, 1923-1946 .
The collection consists of school census records for Matagorda County, Texas for the years 1923 to 1946. The records are arranged by race, "colored" and "white", and then alphabetically by surname. Additional images will be published to this collection as they become available.
The listing of school-aged children is a common practice throughout the United States. The records are usually compiled on a yearly basis. School records helped local governments determine funding needs for individual schools. The information is usually reliable although the ages are sometimes off by a year and legal guardians may be confused with parents.
For a list of records by surnames and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
School Census Records may include the following information:
- Census stipulated for whites only, ages 7-17
- Name of county, town and school district
- Surname and Christian name of child
- Child's date of birth, age and gender
- Names of parents or guardians
- Parents' residence or post office address
How to Use the Record
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "Year, Race, Surname Range" category which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
School records can be very helpful as they can often be used as a reliable substitute for birth records or they can lead you to birth records.
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- Name of the child
- Age or approximate birth date
- Parents' names
Compare the information in the school record to what you already know about your ancestor to determine if this is the correct person. You may need to compare the information of more than one person to make this determination.
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information about them. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestor.
- Use the age to calculate an approximate birth date.
- Use the age or birth date along with the parents’ names and residence to find the family in census records.
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church and land records.
It is often helpful to extract the information on all children with the same parents. If the surname is unusual, you may want to compile the entries for every person of the same surname and sort them into families based on the names of the parents. Continue to search the birth records to identify other relatives such as cousins who attended the same school or other nearby schools.
Keep in mind
- Earlier records may not contain as much information as the records created after 1885.
- There is also some variation in the information given from record to record.
- Matagorda County, Texas Free Public Records Directory
- Matagorda County, Texas Court Records Directory
- Matagorda County, Texas Family History and Genealogy
- Matagorda County Records
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: Matagorda County, School Census Records, 1923-1946
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Texas, Matagorda County, School Census Records, 1923-1946" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing State Board of Education. Matagorda County Judge, Bay City.
- This page was last modified on 1 November 2013, at 16:53.
- This page has been accessed 1,304 times.