Texas BiographyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Biographies provide useful genealogical information such as an individual’s birth date and place (including foreign birthplaces where applicable); family members; occupation and education; and social, political, and religious affiliation. They may also contain a physical description of the person, his or her previous residences, and immigration information. Biographies are the product of family knowledge or previous research compiled about early settlers and prominent citizens of the state, county, or town. Many lesser-known individuals may have biographical sketches written about them in local histories.Texas Archives and Libraries have collections of biographical materials.
Biographical Gazetteer of Texas
- An ongoing project to index more than 200 biographical and historical publications in the Texas Collection at Baylor University has produced the Biographical Gazetteer of Texas. An online index is available in the Baylor University Texas Collection and University Archives.
Also available through the Family History Library, Austin, Texas: W.M. Morrison Books, 1985- Volumes 1-6, alphabetical; FHL book 976.4 D3bgt
The Handbook of Texas
The Handbook of Texas is a encyclopedic collection of history, geography and biographies. It is now available on line through the Texas State Historical Association.
Family History Library Collection
- Texas, Gonzalez de la Garza Genealogy Collection A genealogical cardfile of approximately 270,000 cards compiled by Rudolfo Gonzalez de la Garza representing thousands of families of Southern Texas and Northern Mexico. The cardfile is in the Laredo Public Library.
- Bailey, Ernest Emory. Texas Historical and Biographical Record With a Genealogical Study of Historical Family Records. Austin, Texas: Texas Historical and Biographical Record, N.d. FHL film 873974 item 2
- Bailey, Emory E., et al. Who's Who in Texas. Dallas, Texas: Who's Who Publishing, 1931. FHL book 976.4 D3be
- Biographical Souvenir of the State of Texas, 1889. Reprint, Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978. FHL book 976.4 D3bs 1978 and FHL film 1000596 item 2 Digitized version available through the FamilySearch Catalog entry.
- Davis, Ellis Arthur and Edwin H. Grobe. Encyclopedia of Texas. Dallas: Texas Development Bureau, 190? FHL book 976.4 D3de, 1929 edition; FHL films 962725-29 [larger print] or FHL fiche 6046992
- Brown, John Henry. Indian Wars and Pioneers of Texas. 1880. Reprint. Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978. FHL book 976.4 D3b, 1978; 1880 edition: FHL film 924460 item 1; FHL film 1000597 item 4; fiche 6051506 Digitized version available through the FamilySearch Catalog entry.
- Crockett, David. Col. Crockett's Exploits and Adventures in Texas. (New York : Wm. H. Graham, Tribune Buildings, 1848. Free digital copy.
- To locate biographical material available through the FamilySearch Catalog, use the Place-names Search for:
- TEXAS - BIOGRAPHY
- TEXAS, [COUNTY] - BIOGRAPHY
- TEXAS, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - BIOGRAPHY
- Historic Texas.net
- Texas Biographies
- The Handbook of Texas An encyclopedia of Texas history, georgraphy and culture. Includes biographies.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 02:08.
- This page has been accessed 3,847 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More