The Elizabethtown Story, Colfax County, New MexicoEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

The Elizabethtown Story. A pamphlet by Father Stanley, printed March 1961, Box 503, Dumas, Texas, no copywright. The pamphlet mentions the following people that may be genealogical interest to you.


Rev. Accorsini from Brooklyn and Rev. Antonio Forchegu from France were the best loved Catholic Priests.

Aken and Scanten, first editors of the newspaper The Lantern.

Allen had a piece of land near Ute Creek, partnered with McKenna.

Robert Allen and Margaret Murphy were married by Rev. Tolby.
Clay Allison, dumped the newspaper press into the Cimarron river, married Dora McCullough his sister in law, probably in Trinadad, a favorite resort of the Allison's. He was furious about Rev. Tolby's death, and gathered over 200 cowboys, which started the Colfax County War.

John W. Allison, Clay's brother, married Betty McCullough, on September 191879 in Elizabethtown.

Arbor's, another sallon in town.

H.H. Argue, owner of many local placer sites, had valuable property that burned down in the 1903 fire.

Arthur, first to stake a gold mining claim along with: Bronson, Brown, Robinson and Hamilton.

George Ashbaugh, honor roll class of 1900.

John Ashbaugh, honor roll class of 1900.
Baker and Brown owned a newspaper, c.1900, called "Mining Bulletin".
Ella VBarnes and James M. Dace were wed by Rev. Tolby.

Margaret Barney and Sylvester Lowell were wed by Rev. Tolby.

Dr. Clarnce Bass, a doctor, married the oldest child of Elizabeth Moore and Joseph Lowery, then moved to Cimarron.

M. Bass, school teacher, moved after 1907 fire because he did not have enough students.
Colonel Edward Bergmann, commanderof Fort Bascom during the Civil War, managed mine near Ute park and prospected for Lucien Maxwell, owned the first class E'Town Hotel, married Augusta Sever in Elizabethtown in 1870. His hotel burned down. He was Justice of the Peace of Elizabethtown during the Colfax County War, and then warden of the Territorial Penitentiary in Santa Fe.

S.B. Booth, Notary Public, moved after the 1903 fire.
Carl Brainard, honor roll class of 1900.
Harry Brainard, owned the Minig Exchange Saloon.

Ezilda Brannon and William G. Temple were married by Rev. Tolby.

Bronson, soldier at Fort Union explored along the Cimarron River with Kelly and Kinsinger, discovered gold and staked a claimat Willow Creek.

Brown, first to stake a gold mining claim along with: Arthur, Bronson, Robinson and Hamilton.

Brown and Baker owned a newspaper, c.1900, called "Mining Bulletin".

Amy Brown, honor roll class of 1900.

George Buck, John Moore, Herberger and Duber decided that the settlement be a town.

John Buck, settler near Fort Union established first gold mine with Moore and Buck. First called "Copper Mine" then "Mystic Lode Mine".

Rev. N.S. Buckner, from Denver, preached the first sermon in Etown, August 6, 1871.

Burnett, not a squatter, court records show he purchased land from Lucien Maxwell.

George E Bybee, operated the "Billiard Parlor and Saloon", 1897.

Allen H.Carey inventoried Rev. Tolby's estate.
General James H.Carleton, responsible for the Establishment of Elizabethtown by encouraging his "indian fighters" and "confederate hunters" otherwise Union soldiers, to look for gold on their off time.

Frank Carrington, honor roll class of 1900.

J.E. Codin, Pat Lyons, Fred Pheffer and "Big Mitch" of Fort Union first to locate a claim (The Michigan Company) at the site of future Elizabethtown.

John C.Codlin, built the first huse in Elizabethtown for John Moore.

Thomas Coglin and Anna Wirll were witnesses to the Anna Sever - Colonel Edward Bermann wedding, December 13, 1870, in Elizabethtown.

ArthurCooper, Builder and Contractor, 1897.

Cosgrove, restive of lawless element in the settlement.

J. R. Cundiff and William Honey , witnesses at the John W. Allison and Betty McCullough marriage, on September 19, 1879 in Elizabethtown.

James M. Dace and Ella V Barnes were wed by Rev. Tolby.

Will D. Dawson, bought the newspaper fron Scanten and Aken who called it "The Railway Express and Telegraph", later sold it to Morley and Maxwell Land Grant Company, but remained for a while, sympathized with the squatters on the Maxwell Land Grant.

Mrs. E.J.Day was the school teacher,c.1897.

Frank Dericks, owned a saloon that had gambling tables and was called "the Montezuma".

V.S. Dhelby &  Co., first stage line betweenn Elizabethtown and lucien Maxwell's home. (Jan 6, 1868).

Dickenson, not a squatter, court records show he purchased land from Lucien Maxwell.

Charles J Dodd had a Lumber Yard in 1897. Manager of the Kansas City whiskey and saloon syndicate that invested $40,000 in the area, c.1900. Had valuable property that burned down in the 1903 fire, sold his interests and moved to Socorro.

Peter Doerfer, moved after the 1903 fire.
CarlDold, honor roll class of 1900.
Louise Dold, honor roll class of 1900.
Lucretia Downey, honor roll class of 1900.
Draper, a settler.

Duber, George Buck, John Moore, and Herberger decided that the settlement be a town.

William Edling, opned his business as carpenter, contractor, and undertaker in 1897.

Eubanks, not a squatter, court records show he purchased land from Lucien Maxwell.

Timothy Foley mined the souths side of the gulch off willow creek with Matthew Lynch, after an unsuccesful try on the east side of Baldy.

Rev. Antonio Forchegu from France and Rev.Accorsini from Brooklyn were the best loved Catholic Priests.

M. Forrester, owner of the Ajax Mine, had valuable property that burned down in the 1903 fire.

W.H.H. French, operated the hotel "Maxwell House" rooms for a dollar a day, baths 35 cents extra.

HermanFroelick owned the only business that survived the 1903 fire, a mercantile store. He purchased many of the lots that had been acquired by squatter possession.

Theresa Froelick, honor roll class of 1900.

Herm A Funke owned the Pioneer Barber Shop.

Charles Gallagher married May Lowrey, their son became a State Senator.

Garry, restive of lawless element in the settlement.
Gillen and Pearson owned Pearson and Gillen's Mercantile Company.

Gottlief and Uhfelder owned the "Great Western Supply Store",  a brick store, the marvel of Elizabethtown.

Greeley, restive of lawless element in the settlement.

John A Gysin, had property that burned down in the 1903 fire, moved to Trinidad. 

Haas, not a squatter, court records show he purchased land from Lucien Maxwell.

JohnHaddow married Annie Lowrey. Annie became postmaster of Eagles Nest. 
Hamilton, first to stake a gold mining claim along with: Arthur, Bronson, Brown and Robinson.
H. H. Hankins, owner of the Etown stageline to Springer, c.1900.

N. Harms and  H. Kaiser operated "Saloon and Billiard Room", 1897.

Harrison filed stake a gold mining claim along with Dougherty.

Henry Hart, moved after the 1903 fire.
Rev. Peter Hart, performed the Augusta Sever and Edward Bergmann wedding, Dec. 13, 1870.

Rev. Harwood collected money for the Tolby survivors, performed the marriage of Rev. OP. McMains and bailed him out of the Santa Fe Jail.

Herman Heller, filed gold mining claim with Thomas Reese and Bill Huron, right below Arthur, Bronson, Brown and Hamilton, near Willow Creek.

Henderson and Whigham bought the Cimarron News and called "The News and Press".

Wall Henderson, was the first "badman" of Elizabethtown, killed a claim jumper, but acquitted on self-defense. Upon his  return after the trial in Mora, he was attacked by Ned O'hara, who received a bullet over his left eye. He then joined a band of outlaws in Ute Park. He became involved in an argument with Joe Stinson, a saloon keeper. Stinson sent him to boothill, which was larger than the one in Dodge.

Herberger, George Buck, John Moore, and Duber decided that the settlement be a town.

Joseph Antonio Herberger, an Elizabethtown vigilante and saloon proprietor.  Captain O'Keefe was argumentative over his bill. Herberger finished him off with a log.

William Honey and J. R. Cundiff, witnesses at the John W. Allison and Betty McCullough marriage, on September 19, 1879 in Elizabethtown.

Doc Howe, a settler.

Frank Huntington bought the "City Meat Market", 1897, from George Moore .

Bill Huron, filed gold mining claim with Thomas Reese and Herman Heller, right below Arthur, Bronson, Brown and Hamilton, near Willow Creek.

Annie Gerlinde Irwin and George Wallace Thompson were married by Rev. Tolby.

Mrs. L.V. Jones called her hotel "The Moreno", 1897.

H. Kaiser and N. Harms operated "Saloon and Billiard Room", 1897.

CaptainKeefer, got into an argument over his saloon bill with Joseph Herberger, proprietor, and was finished off with a log.

Kelly, soldier at Fort Union explored along the Cimarron River with Bronson and Kinsinger,  discovered gold at Willow Creek.

Perry Lou Kelley, honor roll class of 1900.
Charles Kennedy, owned a lodging house on the road to Taos, robbed and murdered guests as they slept. When he threatened his wife and she contacted the vigilantes, they finished him off.

Kinsinger, soldier at Fort Union explored along the Cimarron River with Bronson and Kelly, discovered gold at Willow Creek.

JoeKnowland, Etown's favorite vegetable wagon man, moved after the 1903 fire.

Joseph Knowland, honor roll class of 1900.

Henry Koehler, made a permanent survey for the Elizabethtown and Raton Railway, 1903.

Rev. J.Krayer, Catholic Priest from Springer, served Mass weekly in Elizabethtown, in 1900.

William Kroenig, settler near Fort Union established first gold mine with Moore and Buck. First called "Copper Mine" then "Mystic Lode Mine".

Lambert, built a hotel in Elizabethtown. His luck ran out when he moved to Cimarron and built the famous Saint James Hotel.

Sylvester Lowell and Margaret Barney were wed by Rev. Tolby.

Annie Lowrey married  John Haddow. She became postmaster of Eagles Nest. 

BessieLowrey, honor roll class of 1900, died young.
Joseph Lowrey married Elizabeth Moore, for whom Elizabethtown was named, had 8 children.

Laura Lowrey died young.

Maud Lowrey married  T.D.Neal and lived in Eagles Nest until her death.

May Lowrey, 2nd child, was in E town's first graduating class, married Charles Gallagher, their son became a State Senator.

William Lowrey, youngest of Elizabeth and Joseph's children, settled in Eagles Nest.

Lowthain, restive of lawless element in the settlement.

James Lynch, living on former rich placer at Michigan Gulch.

Jimmie Lynch, owned the Bandana Properties, c.1900, to a Kansas City whiskey and saloon syndicate.

Matthew Lynch mined the souths side of the gulch off willow creek with Timothy Foley, after an unsuccesful try on the east side of Baldy. Restive of lawless element in the settlement. His eventual wealth was estimated up to 1.5 million dollar.

Pat Lyons, J.E. Codin, Fred Pheffer and "Big Mitch" of Fort Union first to locate a claim (The Michigan Company) at the site of future Elizabethtown.

Marshall, not a squatter, court records show he purchased land from Lucien Maxwell.

A.Martini owned the  Eating House, 1897was caterer and dance instructor at games and events.

Mayflower, name of saloon.

Meadows and Young owned the Meat Market, 1897.

Betty McCullough married John W. Allison, Clay's brother, on September 191879 in Elizabethtown.

Dora McCullough, Betty's sister, married Clay Allison.

Jim McIntyre, a gambler who opened the "Enterprise Laundry", c.1900. A known "badman" from Colorado City (Texas) associated with Jim Courtright. Moved to Woodward, Oklahoma and possibly buried at Canadian or Whitedeer, 1906. He wrote a book about himself. Very friendly with the Berry family.

James AMcKenna, author of Black Range Tales, depicted his short time in Etown, met up with Allen in Ute Creek, and helped him placer mine.

O.P.McMains,  a Cimarron preacher who took "The News and Press" to Raton and called it "The Comet" which later became "The Raton Range". After the Colfax County War, he changed the political situation from vengeance against the Santa Fe Ring to war against the Maxwell Land Grant Company. He continued the fight long after Clay Allison left for the Texas Panhandle. It is said that over 200 people gave their lives, pro and con, for his cause.

Elizabeth Moore, daughter of John, for whom the town was named, became a school teacher at Willow Creek Canyon for a short time. She married Joseph Lowery, they had 8 children. Her oldest child married Dr. Clarence Bass.

George Moore sold his "City Meat Market", 1897, to Frank Huntington.

John Moore, George Buck, Herberger and Duber decided that the 100 buildings of the settlement be a town. The town was named after Moore's oldest daughter, Elizabeth who later married Joseph Lowrey. John built the first house. John sold provisions to the miners.

John Moore, honor roll class of 1900.
Mary Moore, honor roll class of 1900.
William H. Moore, post suttler (sold supplies to the army and soldiers) at Fort Union. Established first gold mine with Moore and Buck. First called "Copper Mine" then "Mystic Lode Mine". Later partner with Maxwell and Kroenig on the "Big Ditch " 42 mile aqueduct project.
Morley part of the Maxwell land Grant Company bought the newspaper "Railway Express and Telegraph", formed the "Cimarron Ring" to combat the "Santa Fe Ring" with Springer. Established the "Cimarron News" to fight against the squatters on the Maxwell Land Grant.

D. F. Morse, published a newspaper in Elizabethtown around 1900, called "The New Mexico Miner".

Margaret Murphy and Robert Allen were married by Rev. Tolby.

Gustaf Mutz, honor roll class of 1900.


T.D.Neal married Maud Lowrey and lived in Eagles Nest .

Ned O'Hara, friend of a claim jumper that was killed by Wall Henderson. He jumped Henderson when he returned from his acquittal and was shot above the left eye, but not killed.

Pony O'Neil, outlaw wanted for murder, was strung up on a tree by the Elizabethtown vigilantes including J.A. Herberger, and riddled with bullets.

Pearson and Gillen owned  Pearson and Gillen's Mercantile Company.

C.F. Pease, a settler, not a squatter, court records show he purchased land from Lucien Maxwell.

Allen Perry, honor roll class of 1900.

Peter J Perry, from Raton, openned the Remsberg Mercantile Company, 1897, that burned down in 1903.

Fred Pheffer, J.E. Codin, Pat Lyons and "Big Mitch" of Fort Union first to locate a claim (The Michigan Company) at the site of future Elizabethtown.

H.B. Phelps, manager of the Remsberg Mercantile Store in 1903 when it burned down and set the town on fire in 1903.

Pollock, a settler.

Porter, restive of lawless element in the settlement.

L.P. Preston, Civil Engineer and Surveyor, 1897.

Henry Prichard, started his dry goods store in 1897, moved after the 1903 fire.
Thomas Reese, filed gold mining claim with Bill Huron and Herman Heller, right below Arthur, Bronson, Brown and Hamilton, near Willow Creek.

Regan, restive of lawless element in the settlement.

Reynolds, not a squatter, court records show he purchased land from Lucien Maxwell.

Beert Richey, honor roll class of 1900.
Lloyd Richey, honor roll class of 1900.
Mabel Richey, honor roll class of 1900.

Thomas Earl Richey, age 14, shot himself toying with a gun.
Robinson, first to stake a gold mining claim along with: Arthur, Bronson, Brown and Hamilton.

VL Romero had a dry goods store in 1897.

T.G. Rowe, asked to make the first plat and survey.

Scanten and Aken, first editors of the newspaper The Lantern.

Scholly, moved after the 1903 fire.
Schumann, restive of lawless element in the settlement.

Henry Schuman, moved after the 1903 fire.
Sears, a settler.

A. Sever, was the Justice of the Peace who married John W. Allison and Betty McCullough, on September 19, 1879 in Elizabethtown.

Augusta Sever, daughter of A. Sever, married Colonel Edward Bergmann on December 13, 1870 in Elizabethtown.

E.L.Sheldon, managed "The News and Press" in Cimarron, afterit was dumped into the river.

Joe Stinson, a saloon proprietor who sent Wall Henderson to Boot Hill over an argument.

Stone, landlord of the Etown hotel, had a German wife.

Sullivan, restive of lawless element in the settlement.

Sutton, not a squatter, court records show he purchased land from Lucien Maxwell.

John C Taylor, moved after the 1903 fire.
William G.Temple and Ezilda Brannon were married by Rev. Tolby.

Rev.Terrell, used the schoolhouse on sundays, for his flock.

George Wallace Thompson  and Annie Gerlinde Irwin were married by Rev. Tolby.
Parson Franklin J Tolby, killed at the start of the Colfax County War, Methodist Minister for Cimarron and Elizabethtown. His wife was Mary E, and his children Rachel and Grace, 5 and 2 at his death, returned to Indiana. He was suspected by the corrupt territorial government, known as the Santa Fe Ring, to have written letters to a New York newspaper (The New York Sun) complaining about the Santa Fe Ring and the political situation in New Mexico.

Tooley was usual master of ceremonies at vents in 1897.

John T Towner, moved after the 1903 fire.
Turpin, restive of lawless element in the settlement.

Uhfelder and Gottlief owned the "Great Western Supply Store", a brick store, the marvel of Elizabethtown.

J.A. Valentine, moved after the 1903 fire.
Cruz Vega, a Civil War veteran, was blamed for Rev. Tolby's death.

Pedro Vigil managed the Elizabethtown - Taos stage line, 1897, fare $2.00, a penny pound for baggage.

William Walker, clerk at the Remsberg Mercantile Store in 1903 saved dry goods and company's books when it burned down and set the town on fire in 1903.
John Walters and Isabella Wightman wed by Rev. Tolby, on June 20, 1875. The last wedding performed before his death.
Whigham and Henderson bought the Cimarron News and called "The News and Press".

Bessie Whitescarver, honor roll class of 1900.

W.C. Whitecarver, had valuable property that burned down in the 1903 fire, held on as loing as he could before abandoning.

W.E. Whitescarver, owned the "Red Front Livery Stable".

Isabella Wightman and John Walters were wed by Rev. Tolby, on June 20, 1875. The last wedding performed before his death.
J.T. Wightman, editor of the Cimarron News.

John H. Williams, set up "Uncle John's Saloon.

J.W. Williams saloon had gasmbling tables, was called the "Popular Resort" and was also called "The Senate" because had a brass rail and brass spitoons.

Anna Wirll and Thomas Coglin were witnesses to the Anna Sever - Colonel Edward Bermann wedding, December 13, 1870, in Elizabethtown.

 C.M.Woodhouse, jeweler and watchmaker, set up his business, c1897.

Young and  Meadows owned the Meat Market, 1897.

Sources:

James A McKenna, Black Range Tales, NY 1936; New Mexico, A guide to a colorful State, NY, 1940.

R. Twitchell, Leading Facts of New Mexico History.

J. Reid, illustrated History of New Mexico.

H.H. Bancroft, History of Arizona and New Mexico

H.O. Ladd The  Story of New Mexico

H.C. Upshaw, Gold Rush Town. New Mexico Magazine, April 1958.

S.J. Brasher, Cradle of Vengeance, True West Magazine, May-June 1960

F. Stanley, The Grant tha Maxwell Bought

The Raton Range, various issues

The Springer Stockman, various issues.

The Santa Fe New Mexican, various issues.


 

Need additional research help? Contact our research help specialists.

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).

  • This page was last modified on 26 October 2010, at 19:10.
  • This page has been accessed 2,096 times.