Thornbury, GloucestershireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Thornbury, Gloucestershire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Thornbury PLU|
|Parish registers: 1550|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1578|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
THORNBURY (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the Lower division of the hundred of Thornbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 24 miles (S. W.) from Gloucester, and 124 (W. by N.) from London; containing, the tything of Kington, and the chapelries of Falfield,Moorton, Oldbury, and Rangeworthy. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends,Independents, and Wesleyans. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Thornbury, Gloucestershire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|FHSO = FHSOnline - (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg.org.uk|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|THORNBURY PARISH Online Records|
|IARC||1613-1661 (gaps)||1559-1670 (gaps)||1609-1702 (gaps)|
|IARC||1580-1672 (gaps)||1620-1735 (gaps)||1579-1764 (gaps)|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288779.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 331-335. Date accessed: 05 February 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage for the Gloucestershire Marriages database,' FHS Online, accessed 5 May 2014.
- ↑ 'Extracts from Parish Registers, No. IX.: Thornbury and Olveston,' in Beaver H. Blacker, ed., Gloucestershire Notes and Queries, Vol. 3 (1887):256-257. Digitised by Internet Archive - free.
- ↑ 'Extracts from Parish Registers, No. X.: Bushley and Thornbury,' in Beaver H. Blacker, ed., Gloucestershire Notes and Queries, Vol. 3 (1887):410-414. Digitised by Internet Archive - free.
- ↑ 'Gloucestershire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 April 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 16 May 2014, at 20:53.
- This page has been accessed 1,178 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki