Thwaite (near Loddon), Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Thwaite (near Loddon), Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Loddon and Clavering PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
THWAITE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Loddon, E. division of Norfolk, 3½ miles (N.) from Bungay. 
Thwaite St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Brooke deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
It should not be confused with the parish of Thwaite (near Alby), Norfolk.
Thwaite St Mary is a rural hamlet (and civil parish) in the county of Norfolk, Thwaite – sometimes pronounced ‘twayt’ by locals is a few miles north of the Suffolk Border.
The Norman church of St Mary is an active congregation in the diocese, in a rural area of farmland serving several isolated communities and settlements.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Thwaite (near Loddon) parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|THWAITE (NEAR LODDON) PARISH Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 544/ 1-6
See census transcript of 1891 census+ Thwaite St Mary 1891
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438864.
Poor Law Unions
Loddon and Clavering Union was incorporated under the terms of 'An Act for the better Relief and Employment of the Poor in the Hundreds of Loddon and Clavering, 4 Geo. III, cap. 90, 1764. A House of Industry was built at Heckingham and this was altered and enlarged in 1836 when it was adopted as the Union workhouse. Loddon and Clavering Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 13 in 1930.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 22 October 1984 (C/GP 12/1, 5-11 273-276), 31 October 2001 (ACC 2001/199 numbered C/GP 12/8), 26 August 1964 (C/GP 12/70), 31 October 2001 (ACC 2001/199 numbered C/GP 12/277-278), 4 June 2009 (ACC 2009/74 numbered C/GP 12/279) and on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP 12/1-7, 9-13, 15, 19, 22, 25-37, 39-41, 43-49, 51-54, 56-58, 60-77, 86, 89-100, 202-209, 211, 213, 215, 217, 219, 221-223, 250, 277-279 are available on microform.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 13, see C/GC 13.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Thwaite St Mary on GenUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 355-357. Date accessed: 16 July 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014. Saint's dedication is not identified.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 28 May 2015, at 18:27.
- This page has been accessed 2,443 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More