Tillman County, Oklahoma GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Tillman County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Tillman County, Oklahoma|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Founded||July 16, 1907|
|Address|| Tillman County Courthouse|
201 N. 10th Street
Frederick, Oklahoma 73542
- 1907--Tillman County was created 16 July 1907 from Comanche and Kiowa Counties.
- County seat: Frederick 
LDS Cemetery Records
Vol. 21 page 44 - Chattanooga
For tips on accessing Tillman County, Oklahoma Genealogy census records online, see: Oklahoma Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Oklahoma denominations, view the Oklahoma Church Records Wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Oklahoma Land and Property for additional information about early Oklahoma land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Tillman County, Oklahoma Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Oklahoma Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Tillman County, Oklahoma Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Lawton newspapers that may have included Tillman County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
- 1801 – 2008 Oklahoma Wills and Probate Records 1801-2008 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1887 – 2008 Oklahoma Probate Records 1887-2008 at FamilySearch — images
Oklahoma tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- The Tillman County OK GenWeb Project, a member of The OKGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tillman County, Oklahoma. Page 562 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2016, at 04:08.
- This page has been accessed 6,083 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News