Tintwistle, CheshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Tintwistle, Cheshire family history and genealogy: parish registers (baptism, christening, marriage, and burial records), civil registration (birth, marriage, and death records), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and websites.
TINTWISTLE, is a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Mottram parish, Cheshire. The village stands 1 mile NW of Hadfield railway station, and 5 miles E of Staleybridge: and has a post-office under Manchester. The township includes Arnfield hamlet: includes also, for poor-rate purposes, Micklehurst hamlet. The church was built in 1837. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241238. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Tintwistle Christ Church parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Tintwistle Christ Church Parish (1837) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1837-1887
|FS BT'S|| 1837-1856
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Here is a list of parish registers on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
Parish registers: Cheshire Record Office no.: P205/1-4, P205/4541/1-3.
| Parish registers for Chapelry of Tintwistle, 1837-1949
| Baptisms, 1837-1882 Marriages, 1839-1884 Burials, 1837-1893 Register of graves, 1837-1879
|| 1656719 Items 3-6|
| Register of graves, 1837-1903 cont.
|| 1656720 Item 1|
| Marriages, 1884-1920 Banns, 1899-1947
|| 2045909 Items 9-10|
| Marriages, 1884-1949 (another filming, 1884-1920)
|| 2069091 Items 5-6|
Bishop's transcripts: Cheshire Record Office no.: EDB 204
| Bishop's transcripts for Chapelry of Tintwistle, 1837-1855
| Baptisms, burials, 1837-1839, baptisms, 1840-1841, burials, 1840-1841, baptisms, 1855.
|| 1647714 Item 3|
Non Conformist Churches
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Methodist New Connexion
- Wesleyan Methodist
- Wesleyan Methodist Association.
Tintwistle Chapel (Cheshire : Independent) RG-4 series nos. 3533, 2153.
| Church records, 1747-1828 Tintwistle Chapel (Cheshire : Independent)
| Church records
|| 20053 Items 5-6|
| Another filming of births and baptisms, 1827-1837. London : Public Record Office, 1986. on 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm.
|| 1482409 Item 5|
Church records for the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Tintwistle, 1839-1966:Microfilm copy of original registers filmed at the Manchester Archives Central Library in Manchester, England.
| Church records for the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Tintwistle, 1839-1966
| Baptisms, 1839-1966 (Title board dates are incorrect).
|| 2357129 Item 8|
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Tintwistle Branch Record of members, 1842-1857: Microfilm of original records in the LDS Church Archives, Salt Lake City.
| Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Tintwistle Branch Record of members, 1842-1857
| Record of members, 1842-1857
|| 87043 Item 1|
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Ashton under Lyne (1837-1937)
- Hyde (1937-74)
- High Peak (1974+)
Poor Law Unions
- Ashton under Lyne
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Wilson, John Marius, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). Date Accessed: 12 April 2013
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 14 October 2013.
- This page was last modified on 4 December 2013, at 17:51.
- This page has been accessed 723 times.