Tippah County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Tippah County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
A wiki article describing an online colleciton is found at:
Mississippi Tippah County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
1836--Tippah County was created 9 February 1836 from the Chickasaw Cession.
County seat: Ripley 
For tips on accessing Tippah County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- Civil War service men from Tippah County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Tippah County.
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company K - Beauregard Relief
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company E - McDowell’s Company
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi State Cavalry
- Company A - Citizen Guards
- Company K - Pettus Rangers
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company B – O’Connor Rifles
- Company D – Joe Matthews
- Company F – Magnolia Rifles
- Company L – Liberty Guards
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry
- Company F - Tippah Highlanders
- - 3rd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company G - Daniel’s Company
- - 7th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company A - Forrest Cavalry, aka Ford’s Company
- Company B - Hovis’ Company
- Company C - Green’s Company
- Company D - Holcomb’s Company
- Company E - Buncomb’s Fighting Cocks, aka Rogers’ Company
- Company F - Duncan’s Company
- Company G - Stancill’s Company, aka Garrett’s Company, and aka White’s Company
- Company H - Wheeler’s Company, aka Polk’s/Park’s Company
- Company I - McKenzie’s Company, aka Young’s Company
- Company L - Garrett’s Company
- - 32nd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company E - Hatchie Tigers
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information see Mississippi Taxation.
- 1858-1899 - Tippah County Marriages 1858-1899. Courtesy: MSGenWeb - free.
- 1858-1918 - Tippah County Marriage Books 1-10 Index 1858-1918 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
A wiki article describing an online collectons is found at:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tippah County, Mississippi page 383, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 11 May 2013, at 17:39.
- This page has been accessed 2,406 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More