Tipton St Martin, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Tipton St Martin, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Tipton St Martin, Staffordshire|
|Poor Law Union||Dudley PLU|
|Parish registers: 1573|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1672|
|Probate Court||Court of the Prebend of Prees or Pipe Minor|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Tipton St Martin is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire. Other places in the parish include: Dudley Port, Great Bridge, Greatbridge, Horseley Heath, Princes End, and Toll End.
TIPTON (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Dudley, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 1½ mile (N. E.) from Dudley, sometimescalled Tibbington. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Primitive Methodists, Methodists of the New Connexion, and Wesleyans. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Tipton St Martin parish registers 1578-1797 were originally Tipton St John but were transferred when St Martin became the Parish church as replacement for St John's. When this church closed it was united with Tipton St Paul, Staffordshire
Tipton St Martin parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|FSBOOK = FamilySearch Books - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|TIPTON ST MARTIN PARISH (1573) Online Records|
Some of these records have been transcribed and are available for purchase through the The Staffordshire Parish Register Society and also at The Family History Library in Salt Lake City with catalog reference.
Tipton St John was well as being the original dedicatory name for this ancient parish 1578-1797 was formed as an ecclesiastical parish in 1854 for part of this Ancient Parish
Tipton St John (Princes End) parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|TIPTON ST JOHN (PRINCES END) PARISH Online Records|
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Tipton St Martin, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474616.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 362-366. Date accessed: 06 November 2012.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 13 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 16 September 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ Staffordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 29 April 2014, at 05:01.
- This page has been accessed 2,901 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback