Todd County, MinnesotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Todd County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Todd County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1855|
|County Seat||Long Prairie|
|Address|| Todd County Courthouse|
215 1st Ave S
Long Prairie, MN 56347
Todd County Website
Clerk District Court has divorce records from 1880,
court records from 1874 and probate records.
County Records has birth and death records from 1870,
marriage records from 1867, land records, school census from 1914. 
- 1855--Todd County was created 20 February 1855 from Cass County. County seat: Long Prairie 
- For a brief history of Todd County's name, click here, then select Todd County.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
The 1913-1914 Farmer's Directory of Todd County is included in:
- Webb Publishing Co. of St. Paul, MN. Collection of Minnesota County Atlases, #175, Roll 8. St. Paul, MN, USA: Minnesota Historical Society, 1913-1914. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Todd – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Todd County, Minnesota. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Hendrickson, A.H., O.B. DeLaurier, and John H. Sheets. Todd County, Minnesota, Histories: Containing Reproductions of the Original Histories of Todd County Written by John H. Sheets, A. H. Hendrickson, O. B. DeLaurier. Other Articles of Interest. Long Prairie, Minn.: Todd County Bicentennial Committee, 1976. FHL Large Q Book 977.688 H2.
- Family Maps of Todd County, Minnesota (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Todd County, Minnesota newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Minnesota Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Todd County, Minnesota page 369, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 4 June 2013, at 21:46.
- This page has been accessed 1,563 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More