Tower of LondonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the London Parishes St T-Z page.
[The] Tower of London is on the eastern side of the city, by the side of the Thames, between the eastern end of Lower Thames Street and St. Katherine's.
The earliest account of any fortification on this site was a small fortress, by William the Norman [Conqueror] in 1076, who...also built in 1078 that portion which is called the White Tower. In 1239 Henry III added to its fortifications, [and was built up, until the] present area of the Tower within the walls, is 12 acres and five poles, and the circuit outside of the ditch, 1052 feet. The principal objects of curiosity within the Tower, are the menagerie of wild beasts in the Lion Tower, the Jewel Office, the armory, the White Tower, the ancient chapel and church (see St Peter ad Vincula), the record office, Beauchamp Tower, the bloody Tower, traders bridge, and the Mint... The Tower is still used as a state prison and is under the government of the Duke of Wellington, Constable, General William Loftus, Lt.; Lt. Colonel Sir F. H. Doyle, Bart. Deputy Lt.; Captain John H. Elrington, Fort Major; the Rev. Andrew Irvine, M.A., chaplain; Charles Murray, Esq., Gentleman Porter; Joseph turtle, Gentlemen Jailor; Berg Tompkins, M.D., physician;..."
[Adapted from: "Topographical Dictionary London" by James Elmes; published 1831]
TOWER OF LONDON, an extra-parochial place, a royal palace and fortress, in Whitechapel district, Middlesex; 1 mile ESE of St. Paul's, London.
- This page was last modified on 29 April 2014, at 05:33.
- This page has been accessed 448 times.