Toxteth Park St John the Baptist, LancashireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Toxteth Park St John the Baptist, Lancashire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Toxteth Park St John the Baptist, Lancashire|
|Hundred||Liverpool Borough; West Derby|
|Poor Law Union||West Derby PLU|
|Registration District||West Derby|
|Parish registers: None|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1868|
|Rural Deanery||Liverpool South|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Lancashire Record Office|
Toxteth St John was built as a chapel of ease in the year 1832 and lay partly within the West Derby parish, and was also partly considered an extra-parochial tract within Liverpool.
There is some ambiguity as to the origin of the name. One theory is that the etymology is "Toki's landing-place". However, Toxteth is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, and at this time, it appears as "Stochestede", i.e. "the stockaded or enclosed place", from the Anglo-Saxon stocc "stake" and Anglo-Saxon stede "place" (found in many English placenames, usually spelled stead).
The ancient township of Toxteth contains the ancient village of Smeedon or Smithdown. It stretches over an area of three miles along the River Mersey and two miles inland, the highest point being on the corner of Smithdown Lane and Lodge Lane. An ancient brook ran from the northern end of the area towards the river, near the boundary of Parliament Street, where it was used to power a water wheel before it ran into the river. Along the river are two creeks, one near the middle is known as Knot's Hole and another further south called Dickinsons Dingle received a brook which ran past the east end of St Michael's Church.
At some time in history the creeks were filled in. The Dingle is now in the area where the old northern creek was situated, and St Michael's Hamlet is situated around the southern creek. Outside the southern boundary of the area lies the creek known as Otterspool, which formed the boundary between Wavertree and West Derby.
Toward the end of the 16th century, the Royal park ceased to be and Puritan farmers from Bolton settled in the area. Setting up 25 farms on land outside Church of England control, which became Toxteth Village, they worshiped at the "Ancient Chapel" of Toxteth on Park Road. In 1611, they built a school at the Dingle, appointing Richard Mather as master. Some years later, he began preaching to the local farmers in the Ancient Chapel.
As the area began to develop and become more urbanised, several places of worship were built to serve the growing community. The first church was St James's, in 1774. Other churches built during the 19th century include St John the Baptist's, 1832; St Thomas's, 1840; St Barnabas's, 1841; St Clement's Windsor, 1841; St Matthew's, 1847; St Paul's, 1848; Holy Trinity, 1858; St Silas's, 1865; St Cleopas's, 1866; St Margaret's, 1869; Christ Church, 1870; St Philemon's, 1874; All Saints', 1884; St Gabriel's, 1884; St Agnes's, 1884; St Bede's, 1886; St Andrew's, 1893; and the Welsh Presbyterian Church, nicknamed Toxteth Cathedral, 1868
TOXTETH-PARK, an extra-parochial district, in the union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire; forming the south or south-eastern suburb of the town of Liverpool. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two major Internet sites with name lists or indexes:
- FreeBMD - over 250 million entries for England and Wales
- Lancashire BMD - Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths
Online transcriptions exist for Toxteth Park St John the Baptist's Chapelry registers as well as for Liverpool's ancient parish of St Nicholas' baptism, marriage and burial registers. Displayed below are those links to online data for both this chapelry and for the ancient parish of St Nicholas (andall Toxteth Park chapelries) located in the following websites; note the ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP = findmypast (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|TOXTETH PARK ST JOHN THE BAPTIST Chapelry (1832) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ALL SAINTS Chapelry (1885) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK CHRIST CHURCH Chapelry (1871) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK HOLY TRINITY Chapelry (1859) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST BARNABAS Chapelry (1841) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST BEDE Chapelry (1882) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST BRIDES Chapelry (1831) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST CLEMENT Chapelry (1841) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST CLEOPAS MISSION CHURCH (1866) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST GABRIEL Chapelry (1885) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST JAMES Chapelry (1775) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST MARGARET Chapelry (1869) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST MATTHEW Chapelry (1851) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST MICHAEL-IN-THE-HAMLET Chapelry (1815) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST NATHANIEL Chapelry (1869) Indexes - recs at Liverpool RO|
|TOXTETH PARK ST PAUL Chapelry (1849) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST PHILEMON Chapelry (1873) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST SAVIOUR Chapelry (1841) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST SILAS Chapelry (1865) Indexes|
|TOXTETH PARK ST THOMAS-IN-THE-FIELDS Chapelry (1843?) Indexes|
|LIVERPOOL ST NICHOLAS PARISH (1604) Indexes|
To view a full list for Liverpool's Parishes, (nearly 60) chapelries, ecclesiastical churches, and district chapels, and to view online baptism, marriage and burial transcription indexes, visit the LIVERPOOL ST PETER & ST NICHOLAS PARISH page.
Toxteth Park St John the Baptist's Chapelry (parish) registers are held at the Liverpool Record Office. These registers have also been microfilmed by FamilySearch and they are available through its 4600 FamilySearch Centers worldwide.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438719.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 380-386. Date accessed: 19 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 22:04.
- This page has been accessed 2,337 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page