Tremaine, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
TREMAYNE, a parish, in the union of Launceston, N. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 6¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Launceston.
Tremaine (Cornish: Treven), (or Tremayne) St Winwallo is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cornwall, created in 1719 from chapelry in Egloskerry, Cornwall Ancient Parish.
The parish church, St Winwallo, stands in the village at OS Grid Ref SX234890. It is a Norman building but some of the windows are later, but the font is Norman.
The modern parish is part of the Egloskerry, North Petherwin, Tremaine and Tresmere, United Benefice in the Diocese of Truro.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Tremaine, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Tremaine, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
|COPC||1612-1672, 1726-1911 (gaps)||
||1612-1673, 1727-1911 (gaps)|| |
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 229
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/t_z/tremaine.php
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241258.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 390-392. Date accessed: 23 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 22 May 2014.
- This page was last modified on 15 August 2014, at 15:55.
- This page has been accessed 872 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki