Tuxford, NottinghamshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Tuxford St Nicholas Nottinghamshire
|Poor Law Union||East Retford PLU|
|Registration District||East Retford|
|Parish registers: 1624|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1598|
|Probate Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|Location of Archive|
|Nottinghamshire Record Office|
TUXFORD (St. Nicholas), a market-town and parish, in the union of East Retford, South-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 30 miles (N. E. by N.) from Nottingham. This place, often denominated Tuxford-in-the-Clay. Here are places of worship for Wesleyans and Independents.
Tuxford St Nicholas is an Ancient parish in the market town in the south of the Bassetlaw distrct of Nottinghamshire. The main A1(Great North Road) has bypassed the town since 1967.
The parish church of St Nicholas which dates originally from the 12th century has been designated a grade I listed building British listed building
See also Tuxford Wikipedia
The Methodist church was originally built in 1841 as a free church and later became the Methodist (Wesleyan) church when the former premises at Blue Bell yard were vacated. For further history Tuxford Heritage
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
From 1837 this parish was within East Retford registration district
Certificates may be obtained for post 1837 events :
The Register Office
County Council Offices
Tuxford, Nottinghamshire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Nottinghamshire Parish Records (findmypast) - (£)|
|Tuxford, Nottinghamshire Parish Online Records|
Tuxford St Nicholas
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Baptisms 1624-1925 Marriages 1624-1958 Burials 1624-1900 Bishop’s Transcripts 1598-1843
Nottinghamshire County Council
NG2 7QP telephone: 08449 808080 online
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Tuxford
Tuxford - St. Nicholas. Transcription of Memorial Inscriptions of inside and outside the Church, dating from 1762 onwards, giving surname, given name, date of death and age. Article in The Nottinghamshire Family History Society Magazine, vol.87, pages 41-51, FHL Ref. 942.52 D25n
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438902.
Transcribed by Bailey, Bryan, Certificates for Using Hair Powder Issued 1795-1978. For each Nottinghamshire Parish, gives the Cerificate no. date, surname, given name, and description. Article in the Nottinghamshire Family History Society Magazine, vol.127, page 1-38, Family History Library Ref. 942.52 D25n - the original is at Nottinghamshire Archives Ref QDT 1/1-4.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Nottinghamshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- This page was last modified on 14 January 2015, at 22:46.
- This page has been accessed 1,150 times.