US Immigration Other Published SourcesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
There are published transcripts and indexes for some ports and dozens of ethnic groups. For example, the Family History Library has lists of:
- Baltimore arrivals from 1820 to 1834
- Philadelphia arrivals from 1800 to 1819
- Irish arrivals at New York from 1846 to 1852
- Dutch arrivals from 1820 to 1880
- German arrivals from 1850 to 1897 (ongoing series)
- Morton Allan directory of European passenger steamship arrivals from 1890 to 1930
These sources are generally found in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under one of the following:
- [STATE], [COUNTY], [TOWN] - EMIGRATION AND IMMIGRATION
- UNITED STATES - EMIGRATION AND IMMIGRATION
Over 2,500 other published sources are listed in:
- Filby, P. William. Passenger and Immigration Lists Bibliography, 1538-1900, 2d ed. Detroit, Michigan: Gale Research, 1988. (FHL book 973 W33p 1988.) Arranged by author and title. Includes index by place-names, nationalities, naturalizations, occupations, religious groups, military units, ship's name, prisoners, or indentured servants.
Fothergill wrote a guide for Americans who wish to trace their English origins:
- Fothergill, Gerald. "American Emigrants. How To Trace Their English Ancestry," in Some Special Studies in Genealogy. 1908. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:49.
- This page has been accessed 877 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page