Ugley, EssexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Ugley, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Bishop's Stortford PLU|
|Registration District||Bishop Stortford|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629; 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Ugley or Oakley (St Peter), is a parish in the district of Bishop-Stortford and county of Essex; it is 2 miles N of Stamford railway station, and 5½ miles NNE of Bishop-Stortford. The post town is, Bishop-Stortford.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Ugley, Essex parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|EOPC = Essex Online Parish Clerks - free|
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|Ugley, Essex Parish Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241376.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72). Adapted. Date accessed: 21 January 2014.
- ↑ Essex Online Parish Clerks, accessed 4 September 2014.
- ↑ Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- ↑ Essex Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 4 September 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- This page was last modified on 4 November 2014, at 22:22.
- This page has been accessed 1,724 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page