Union Casualty RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The "Final Statements, 1862-1899" (National Archives Catalog ID: 654719) are records of soldiers who served in Regular Army units that were discharged by "reason of death" between the years 1862 and 1899. When a soldier died a "final statement" was issued and a copy submitted to the Adjutant General's Office. The collection "Final Statements, 1862-1899" on Fold3 was digitized directly from original records held by the National Archives and has never been microfilmed.
Where to Find the Records
- Final Statements, 1862-1899 (Fold3) ($)
- The "Final Statements, 1862-1899" have never bean microfilmed. Online access is available at no charge at National Archives research rooms and any library that provides free access to Fold3.com.
Regular Army Officers
- The "Historical Register and Dictionary of the United States Army..." by Francis B. Heitman lists Regular Army and volunteer officers from 1789 to 1903 that were killed, wounded, or taken prisoner. See Vol.2 pp. 13-42.
For medical information about volunteer soldiers who fought in the Mexican war, consult the National Archives series, "Carded Medical Records of Volunteer Soldiers in the Mexican and Civil Wars, compiled 1846 - 1865" found in Record Group (RG) 94, Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 17862-1984, entry 534. These cards relate to volunteers admitted to hospitals for treatment and may include information such as name; rank; organization; complaint; date of admission; hospital to which admitted; and date returned to duty, deserted, discharged, sent to general hospital, furloughed, or died. This series is arranged by state, thereunder by the number of the regiment (cavalry, infantry, and artillery are filed together under the common regiment number) and then by initial letter of surname.
- This page was last modified on 15 April 2012, at 11:43.
- This page has been accessed 3,129 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page