Union County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Union County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Union County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||November 2, 1829|
|County Seat||El Dorado|
|Address|| Union County Courthouse; |
101 N Washington
El Dorado, AR 71730
Union County Courthouse;
101 N Washington
El Dorado, AR 71730
County Clerk has marriage and probate records from 1846; Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and land records.
- 1829--Union County was created 2 November 1829 from Hempstead and Clark Counties. County seat: El Dorado 
For animated maps illustrating Arkansas county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Arkansas County Boundary Maps" (1813-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Arkansas counties see: Arkansas Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Cemeteries Online in Union County Union County ARGeneb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Federal land records for Union County Union Co. AR Archives
Local histories are available for Union County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
Emphasis for this timeline is on events that affected migration, records, or record-keeping. Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Arkansas County - The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture 
- Maps of Arkansas (1813-1925)
- Family Maps of Union County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Regiments. Service men in Union County, Arkansas served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Union County, Arkansas:
- - 1st Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Company A
- - 1st Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Colquitt's) (Confederate)
- - 3rd Consolidated Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate)
- - 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate)
- - 6th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate)
- - 8th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate)
- - 19th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Dockery's) (Confederate)
- Korean War Casualties at Union Co. Archives
War of 1812
- War of 1812 Land Grants at Union Co. Archives
- Indian Wars at Union Co. Archives
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Union County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch. Do a Union County, Arkansas Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see, FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Fayetteville Daily Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Daily Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Northwest Arkansas Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Courier Times at Ancestry.com ($)
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
- Probate Records 1839-1927 Part of: Arkansas Probate Records, 1817-1979 FamilySearch Historical Collections (Free, browse images)
- Includes Administration bonds 1868-1923; Administration, executor and guardian bonds; wills 1845-1927; Letters of administration 1868-1924; Letters of guardianship 1869-1923; Probate records 1839-1889.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online.
See also How to order Arkansas Vital Records
- 1847-1951 - Union County Marriage Books A-Z, 2-34 Index 1847-1951 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1847-1920 - Union County Marriage Books A-X Index 1847-1920 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Directory to Early Union County Marriages ARGenweb
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- List of Arkansas Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Union County Genealogy Society
East 5th and North Jefferson Street
El Dorado, Ar 71730
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- El Dorado Arkansas Family History Center 28 N. Calion Rd., El Dorado, AR 71731 United States
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|ARGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Arkansas History Commission||AR state agency involved in organizing and maintaining state and local history of AR|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "arkansas" in the search box to see a list and links to Arkansas Blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "arkansas genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Arkansas Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Union County, AR Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Union County Message Board|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 70.
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry Pub., 2004), 65-67. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Calvin L. Collier, They'll do to tie to : the story of the Third Regiment, Arkansas Infantry, C.S.A. (Little Rock, Arkansas : Civil War Round Table Associates, 1988), p. 10. FHL Collection
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 8 July 2014, at 15:06.
- This page has been accessed 10,026 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki