Union County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Union County, Mississippi ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Union County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||7 July, 1870|
|County Seat||New Albany|
|Address|| Union County Courthouse]|
109 Main St E; PO Box 847
New Albany, MS 38652-0000
Union County Courthouse]
Union County Courthouse
109 Main St E; PO Box 847
New Albany, MS 38652-0000
Clerk Chancery Court has divorce, probate and court records. Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records. 
|[[<span class=|Union County, Mississippi#Vital_Records">Birth]]||[[<span class=|Union County, Mississippi#Vital_Records">Marriage]]||[[<span class=|Union County, Mississippi#Vital_Records">Death]]||[[<span class=|Union County, Mississippi#Census">Census]]||[[<span class=|Union County, Mississippi#Land_and_Property">Land]]||[[<span class=|Union County, Mississippi#Probate_Records">Probate]]|
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1882--Some records were lost. For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Union County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Union County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War Battle was fought in Union County
- Map showing Civil war battles in Mississippi.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Union County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1878-1916 - Union County Marriage Books 3-16 Index 1878-1916 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Union County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Union County, Mississippi page 383, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services Civil War Battle Summaries by State(accessed 2 Aug 2012
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 19 November 2014, at 17:13.
- This page has been accessed 5,740 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page