Union County, New Mexico, Place NamesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
AIROLO - On NM 56, 33 miles west of Clayton. A historic settlement on the east bank of Ute Creek, southeast of Gladstone. Little is known about this community, although it is said to have been established by the first postmaster. Post Office 1905-1909; first postmaster Carl Gilg. mail moved to Pasamonte. map
ALAMOSITA CREEK - "Alamosita" Spanish for "small cottonwoods". Located 13.2 miles east of Moses, 19.2 miles west southwest of Grenville, 14.7 miles south of Royce, 10.9 miles northwest of Guy. map 1, map 2,
ALPS - Station or passing track on C&S RR, 5 miles northeast of Folsom and 6 miles south of the Colorado border. Named in 1887, when the railroad was built, because of terrain similar to the Swiss Alps. It is west of the NM 456 and 551 junction. map
AMBOY - On C&S RR, 3 miles NW of Des Moines.
AMISTAD - Spanish for "friendship". Near Texas state line, east of NM 18. Founded in 1906 by the Rev. Henry S. Wannamaker, a Congregational minister, who named it as a token of his hope for enterprise. A number of the early settlers were clergymen from the East, which led to 40 older ministers staking claims in Amistad. East of NM 402, north of Centerville, south of Sedan, and southeast of Hayden, north of the NM 420 junction. Post Office, 1907.map ,town, 1912 listing,
ANDERSON CANYON - South of NM 456 between NM 370 and NM 406. East of County Road B65 and west of B64. map
ANGLIN - North of NM 65/420, west of NM 402. East of Rosebud, southwest of Amistad and northwest of Centerville. map
APACHE - US Post Office 1877-1882. map
APACHE CREEK - Northeast of Clayton, on the the Texas border, just south of the Oklahoma border, east of US64/56 in the Kiowa National Grasslands. South of the end of County Road 94. map
APACHE SPRING - Just north of Clayton. map
ARCHULETA CREEK - Origin Colfax County, southwest of NM 72, northwest of Folsom. map
ARMIJO - map
ARMIJO CREEK - map
ASHLEY - map
ATENCIO - 7 miles from the Texas state line, 24 miles north of Clayton. Name of Spanish family, the earliest of whom, Jose de Atienza de Alcala y Escobar, arrived in NM in 1693. Post Office, 1910-1914. map , historic
AUBRY CUTOFF (Cimarron Cutoff) - Cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail; the cutoff began at Fort Dodge. Kansas, ran to the southwest corner of Kansas, into the Oklahoma Panhandle, briefly up the Cimarron River in New Mexico to the Folsom Falls. It went east of Capulin Mountain and on southwest to Wagon Mound, ending at Santa Fe. It was named for Captain Francis X Aubry.
BACA - Post Office 1884-1898; mail to Bueyeros. First postmaster, Louis A.C. de Baca.
BALDY HILL - map
BARELA CANYON - map
BARELA CREEK - map
BARELA NOUNTAIN - map
BARNEY - Former settlement on Pinabete Creek, 24 miles southwest of Clayton. Post Office, 1896-1930.
BARREL CANYON - map
BATES - map
BATTLESHIP MOUNTAIN -
BEARD - map
BEENHAM - Former ranch settlement on a branch of Tramperos Creek, 9 miles southeast of Pasamonte. Owned and named about 1880 by Charles John de Haviland (Uncle Charley) Bushnell, a sea captain from Beenham, England. He served as first postmaster. Post Office, 1890-1924. map historic
BENNETT - map
BENNETT SPRING - map
BERRY DITCH - map
BIBLE TOP HILL or BUTTE - 3 miles west of Rabbit Ears Mountain and north of US 87. A deep depression runs east and west across the top of the hill, which thus appears like an open book; hence the name Bible Top. This hill was used as a lookout point by Indians, and numerous flint arrow points have been found here. map
BIFFLE - map
BIG CANYON - map
BIG CANYON MESA - map
BIG SPRING - See Rabbit Ear Creek
BIG WINDMILL - map
BLACK BLUFF - map
BLACK JACK CAVES - Located 2 miles southwest of Folsom. The caves were formed by hot lava from Mount Capulin. Names for "Black Jack" Ketchum. Park, Historical Marker
BLACKSMITH CANYON - 2.5 miles north of dry Cimarron River on north side of Black Mesa. Heads in NM and opens out into North Carriso Canyon in Colorado. In the early 1860's a band of outlaws, led by the notorious outlaw William Coe, did their blacksmithing in this canyon, where later settlers found a part of the anvil block. It was made from a piece of fine, hard wood, very rare in this part of the country; hence the name.map
BLACK SPRINGS - map
BLAND CANYON - map
BLIND GAP - map
BLUE FRONT RANCH - map
BOB WELLS CREEK - map
BOILER GAP - map
BOLZ - map
BONTZ ARROYO - map
BONTZ CANYON - map
BOULDER CANYON - map
BOX CANYON - map
BRAMLETT SPRING - map
BRIGGS CANYON - 2 miles northeast of Folsom; heads a few miles north of Des Moines and opens into Cimarron Canyon. Named for a family who located here in 1866. It is a spot abounding in wildlife. map
BRITE CANYON -map
BROWN - map
BROWN CANYON - map
BROWN MESA - map
BROWN RESERVOIR - map
BRUNER SPRING - map
BRUSHY CANYON - map
BRYAN - map
BRYANTINE - 25 miles southeast of Mosquero. First postmaster, Sarah P. Bryant. Post Office 1903-1920.
BUFFALO HEAD - A high point of rock north of Folsom, named for its resemblance to the head of a buffalo. map
BURAL - map
BURNT CANYON - map
BUSHNELL CREEK - map
CAIN RANCH - map
CANMARK CAMP - map
CANARIO CANYON - map
CAPULIN - Mexican Spanish for "wild cherry". ON US 64 and 87., 27 miles southeast of Raton and 8 miles west of Des Moines. First named DEDMAN in honor of E.J.Dedman, superintendent of AT&SF RR in 1909. In 1914, when Mr. Dedman died, the name was changed to Capulin because of the proximity to Mt. Capulin. Post Office, 1879 to present day. map
CAPULIN MOUNTAIN - A cone shaped, dormant volcano. 20 miles south of Colorado state line and 4 miles northeast of Capulin, 7 miles southwest of Folsom. Named because of the wild cherries (chokeberries) which grew inside the volcanic cone. It is one of the most symmetrical volcanic cones in North America. The high elevation affords a view into 5 states: New Mexico, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Colorado. It became a National Monument in 1916. Also known as CINDER CONE. Map, Mine
CARL CANYON - map
CAR TOP BUTTE - map
CARPENTER SPRINGS - map
CARR MOUNTAIN - map
CARREO SPRING - map
CARRIZO CREEK - Empties into Dry Cimarron Creek. map
CARRUMPA CREEK - See CORRUMPA
CASA BLANCA - p.543.
CATALPA - A log cabin, once used as a school. Located: 13 miles from Folsom, 6 miles from Madison, down the Dry Cimarron River. Originally built by Mike Devoy, it housed a store and postoffice. Now on the Brown Ranch.
CATOR - map
CEDAR CREEK - map
CEDAR HILLS - map
CENTERVILLE - 8 miles south of Amistad and 13 miles north of Nara Visa. Established by hometraders in December 1907. Post Office 1907-1944. map
CENTERVILLE CORNER - map
CENTRAL CITY - See HAYDEN
CERNADA - Spanish for "cinder", with probable reference to volcanic ashes. Near Mt. Dora, 18 miles west of Clayton.
CHARLEY ADAMS CANYON - map
CHAVEZ CANYON - map
CHAVEZ MESA - map
CHAVEZ MOUNTAIN - map
CHERRY CANYON - map
CHET SPRINGS - map
CHILDRESS - map
CHRISTY CANYON - map
CHURCH CREEK - map
CIENAGA CREEK - Cienega in Spanish means "marsh, marshy place". See RABBIT EAR CREEK.
CIENAGA DEL BURRO - See RABBIT EAR CREEK.
CIENEGUILLA CREEK - "Cieneguilla" in spanish is small marshy place. Formed by several tributaries 3 miles north of the settlement of Mt. Dora; flows east into Oklahoma. Formerly called CIENEGUILLA DEL BURRO.
CIMARRON PASS - See EMORY GAP.
CINDER MOUNTAIN - map
CINDER MOUNTAIN PIT MINE - map
CLAPHAM - 22 miles southwest of Clayton on NM 57. Named for Tom Clapham who, in 1888, filed with Jim Davis on adjoining claims. They built a long, two room house on the section line, so that one room was on Clapham's claim and the other on Davis's claim. Post Office, 1888 to 1954. map
CLARKS MONUMENT - map
CLAUDE HUTCHESON RESERVOIR - map
CLAYTON - A railroad shipping center and county seat, 10 miles west of the Texas state line. Founded in 187 by John C Hill, range manager of the Stephen Dorsey Ranch and named for Clayton C. Dorsey, son of Senator Stephen W Dorsey of Arkansas. The latter was involved in a famous mail fraud case. Bob Ingersoll was his lawyer at the trial and Dorsey was freed. Then he and Ingersoll established the Triangle Dot Ranch in Union and Colfax Counties. Post Office 1888 to present day. map
CLAYTON LAKE - map
CLAYTON MOUNTAIN -
COBERT CANYON - map
COBERT MESA - map
COCHRANE CANYON - map
CODORNIZ - historic post office
COLLINS CAMP - map
COLOMEX PIT MINE - map
COLORADO AND SOUTHERN BALLAST PIT MINE - map
COOTY CANYON - map
COPELAND RANCH - map
CORE LOG CANYON - map
CORNAY - map
CORRUMPA - A Native American word meaning "wild or isolated". Former settlement on the headwaters of Corrumpa Creek where FDW Ranch was founded by Frederick D. W. Wright. Now headquarters for Ferol Smith Ranch. Post Office 1905 to 1919. map
CORRUMPA CREEK - 10 miles east of Des Moines, at headwaters of North Canadian. First named MCNEES Creek by the traders on the Santa Fe Trail, in memory of a young man who was murdered there by Comanche Indians in 1828. Later the name was changed to Corrumpa. Captain William Becknell crossed the creek in 1822. It is also called CURRUMPAW CREEK.
COW MOUNTAIN - map
CRAMER CREEK - 1.5 miles south of Centerville. map
CROSS L RANCH - A large ranch, 20 miles east of Folsom on the Dry Cimarron River. map
CUATES - Trading point 10 miles north of Clayton. Borrows the spanish term "cuate" meaning "twin or close friend" as a place name. Post Office from 1903 to 1938. map
DAVIS MESA - map
DEAD MAN - Post Office 1909 to 1912; Changed to CAPULIN.
DEAD MAN'S ARROYO - A few miles east of Sierra Grande Mountain, where Seneca Creek heads. Received its name from the last Indian raid in Union County (then a part of Colfax County) on July 4 1874. Ute indians came through the country on the warpath, killing several Spanish Americans and two Anglos. The Anglos were killed at Corrumpa Creek and the Spanish in this arroyo. map
DEER TRAIL CANYON - map
DEDMAN - Post Office 1909 to 1923. See CAPULIN.
DES MOINES - On US 87 and C&S RR, 38 miles southeast of Raton. Post Office 1906 to present day. map
DEVILS WASH BASIN -map
DEVOY - map
DEVOYS CANYON - map
DEVOY PEAK - 2.5 miles from the Colorado state line, 10 miles northeast of Folsom. Named for Michael Devoy, early pioneer. map
DICKEY CANYON - map
DOLORES - On Ute Creek at the Union and Harding County line. Post Office 1913 to 1914. map
DON CARLOS CREEK - Runs along the Colfax and Union county line and flows south to join the Holkeo Creek. Name probably is associated with a landowner in the area. map
DON CARLOS HILLS - In the southeast corner of Union county, 6 miles northeast of Gladstone. map
DOUGHERTY - map
DRIPPING SPRINGS - Located in a cave in Peacock Canyon. Gets its name from the way the water drips from stalactites. map
DRY CANYON - map
DRY CIMARRON RIVER - The river is believed to have been a disappearing river because of the notable feature of sinking and rising as it goes along. Flows from the foot of Johnson Mesa in Colfax County, cuts a deep canyon across the northern part of Union County, across a corner of Oklahoma, and finally empties into the Arkansas River near Dodge City, Kansas. The name "dry"s only in New Mexico.
DUNCAN CANYON - map
DUNCHEE HILL - map
EAST CANYON - map
EDMONSON - map
EKLUND HISTORIC SITE - map
ELEPHANT ROCK - map
ELLIS - map
ELLMORE CANYON - map
EMBERSON - Post Office from 1908 to 1909; mail to Centerville.
EMERY GAP - First known as CIMARRON PASS, it led from Colorado through the mountains to the Dry Cimarron country; 7 miles East of the Colfax County line. Named for James Madison 'Matt' Emery. Post Office 1906 to 1908, and 1909 to 1925; mail to Branson, Colorado. map
EMERY VEGA - map
ENTRANIA CREEK - map
ENTRANIA SPRING - map
ESCONDIDO SPRINGS - map
ESTRANIA ARROYO - Possible corruption of the spanish "extranar" "to miss". In extreme southeast tip of Union County, flowing east into Monia Creek. map
EXTER - Post Office 1890 to 1903. Name changed to VALLEY.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2013, at 06:29.
- This page has been accessed 1,677 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More