Union County, New Mexico, Place Names M-REdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
MADISON - 8 miles northeast of Folsom, in Dry Cimarron Canyon. First town in what is now Union County. All that is left are ruins of the old grist mill. Named for James Madison Emery, who settled in NM in 1865. Post Office 1874 to 1888. map
MAESTAS LAKE -map
MAJOR LONG'S CREEK - Flows southeast across the southern tip of county into Texas. Possibly commemorative of Stephen H Long (1784-1864), American explorer and engineer, who led a US Army expedition in 1819-1820 to the Rocky Mountains returning by the Arkansas and Canadian Rivers. Long's Peak in Colorado was also named for him.
MALPAIS HILL - 3 miles southwest of Dora and near Farley - Mt. Dora branch at AT&SF RR right of way.
MALPAIZ - historical, map
MALPIE - Formerly called MALPAIS . This spelling is a clue to the widespread pronunciation in the West: "mal pi". Former trading point 12 miles south of Capulin and northeast of Chico near the Union county line. Named for the great quantity of volcanic rock found in the hills and area near the settlement. Post Office, Malpais, 1909 to 1911; mail to Des Moines; Malpie, 1916 to 1939.
MALPIE LAKE - map
MALPIE MOUNTAIN - map
MANSKER - Site of former consolidated school, 9 miles south of Clayton on NM 18. Named for Robert W Mansker, old time peace officer. map
MARQUEZ - map
MAVERICK - map
MAYS RANCH - map
MCCARLEY - map
MCLAUGHLIN - map
MCLAUGHLIN BRIDGE - map
MC NEES CREEK - See CORRUMPA CREEK
MCNEES CROSSING - map
MESITA CREEK - map
MIDDLE CANYON - map
MIDDLE MESA - map
MIDDLE TRABAJO CREEK - map
MIERA - The earliest record of this surname, is that of a soldier, Bernardo Miera y Pacheco, who appeared in Santa Fe as early as 1756. His son, Anacleto, is said to be the founder of the family that settled this town. It is 9 miles south of Barney, at the Union Harding county line. At one time it was called TRAMPERAS, also LOUIS. First postmaster, Francisco Miera. Post Office 1889, intermittently to 1927. map
MILADY CANYON -map
MILLER GAP - map
MITCHEL CANYON - map
MITCHEL SPRINGS - map
MONIA CREEK - Doubtless a mispelling of the spanish "monilla", a shrub like plant producing a hard black seed, found in NM. First called MONIA ARROYO. The creek flows east across the southern tip of Union County into Texas. map
MOORE LAKE - map
MORRIS LAKE - map
MORRISON SPRING - map
MOSCOW CREEK - map
MOSES - There are two communities with this name, an old one and a new one. "Old" Moses was located near Corrumpa Creek, 18 miles northeast of Clayton. This settlement was known in the days of the Santa Fe Trail. Upon the sale of the Espinosa Ranch (Delfin Espinosa was the last owner of the Old Moses Store). A new store and post office was started at a curve on NM 18. The first postmaster was Frank Moses, Post Office, 1909 to 1955. map
MOUNT CAPULIN - See CAPULIN MOUNTAIN
MOUNT CLAYTON - 8 miles west of Mt. Dora and 3 miles south of C&S RR right of way. Named ROUND MOUNTAIN by traders on the Santa Fe Trail, who crossed here in 1822 under the leadership of Colonel Becknell. In 1887 the name changes to Mount Clayton by US Senator Stephen Dorsey of Arkansas in honor of his son, Clayton. See Clayton. map
MOUNT DORA - The mountain is 15 miles northwest of Clayton, named for Senator Dorsey's sister in law. The ranching community is on US 87, 18 miles northwest of Clayton. The settlement is 3 miles from Mt. Dora. Shipping point for cattle, sheep and grain. Post Office 1908 to present day. map
MUD HILL - map
MURPHY LAKE - map
NEGRO CANYON - map
NIGGER MESA - On the Colorado state line with union County between Branson and Folsom. Named by the cowboys after a fight where a Black Chuck Wagon Cook killed a Black Cowboy, which happened at the foot of the mesa in the early 1880's. map
NORTH CANADIAN - See CORRUMPAW, or CANADIAN RIVER , NORTH BRANCH CORRUMPA CREEK - map
NORTH CANYON - map
NORTH DES MOINES - Post Office 1909 to 1916. map
OAK CANYON - map
OAK CANYON CREEK - 4 miles south of Emery Gap, between Folsom and Emery Gap. map
OLD MOSES - map
ORPHAN HILL - map
OTTO - map
PACHECO RANCH - map
PACHECO SPRING - map
PALO BLANCO CREEK - map
PARMAN - map
PASAMONTE - Spanish "pass or opening between the mountains". On NM 58, 33 miles west of Clayton. Lies between rolling hills. Established in 1899 by Carl Gilg, the first postmaster. Post Office, 1899 to 1947. map
PASAMONTE RANCH - map
PATTERSON - First postmaster, Gertie Patterson. Post Office 1910 to 1918.
PEACOCK CANYON - Prong of Cimarron Canyon 35 miles northeast of Folsom. A family of this name located here in the early 1870's. See DRIPPING SPRINGS. map
PEACOCK CANYON PROSPECT MINE - map
PEACOCK DRAW - map
PEACOCK HILL - map
PEDERNAL CREEK - map
PENNINGTON - 17 miles southwest of Mt. Dora. Post Office 1914 to 1921. map
PENRITH - On C&S RR, 3 miles southeast of Mt. Dora. Once a blind siding and shipping point for cattle. Now grazing land. map
PERICO - Spanish for parrot or parakeet. Also, a family name. Post Office 1886 to 1888; changed to CLAYTON.
PERICO CANYON - Rises near Tripod Mountain, flows east, passes 6 miles south of Mt. Dora and 5 miles south of Clayton into Texas.
PIGEON CLIFFS ARCHAELOGICAL SITE - map
PINABETE CANYON - map
PINABETE SPRINGS - map
PINABETITOS CREEK - "Little fir trees". Rises southwest of Pasamonte and joins Major Long's Creek below Stead.
PINCO DRAW - map
PINON RIDGE - map
PLEASANT - Former settlement and school district in farming region, 10 miles east of Des Moines. Also called PLEASANT VALLEY. Post Office 1914 to 1915. map
PLUNKET DRAW - map
POISON SPRINGS - map
POTTER ARROYO - map
POTTER RINCON - map
PRICE RANCH - map
PURVINE HILLS - map
PURVINE MESA - map
PURVINES - map
QUIMBY - map
RABBIT EAR CREEK - First called RABBIT EARS CREEK, later renamed CIENAGA CREEK, and still later BIG SPRING. Name for the Mountain Ridge to the east, "Las Orejas de Conejo" "Ears of the Rabbit". Freighters on the Santa Fe Trail called it CIENEGA DEL BURRO or "jackass swamp". Known today as SENECA Creek. It flows east between Rabbit Ear Mountain and Clayton, continuing into Texas.
RABBIT EAR MESA -map
RABBIT EAR MOUNTAIN - 6 miles north of Clayton, near US 87. Named for a Comanche Chief, called Rabbit Ears, because his ears had been frozen. He was killed in battle and buried on the mountainside. In 1717, at this place, a volunteer army of 500 Spaniards killed several hundred Comanches, and took 700 prisoner, after which a long truce followed. map Historical marker, map
RAFAEL CREEK - Rises southeast of Sierra Grande Mountain and empties into Corrumpaw Creek (now the North Canadian). Said to have been named by US Senator Stephen W Dorsey of Arkansas, who sojourned in NM in the 1880's. map
RAFAELITO CREEK - map
RAMON - Post Office 1911 to 1914.; changed to DAVID.
RARDIN HILL - map
RED HILL - map
REESE HILL - On NM 18.5 miles south of US 64 at Clayton. Named for a family who lived near the foot of the hill. NM 18, leading from Cimarron River Canyon south to Clayton, emerges from the canyon at this point.
REIF HILL - map
RINKER DRAW - map
RIVER MESA - map
ROAD CANYON - South of Reese Hill. So named because the first road leading through Cimarron Canyon to Clayton went through it. map
ROARING SPRING - map
ROBERTSON - map
ROCK HILL - map
ROCKLEDGE RANCH -map
ROCKY ARROYO - map
RODRIGUEZ CANYON - map
ROMERO SPRING - map
ROUND MOUNTAIN - See MOUNT CLAYTON
ROYCE - Community 8 miles west of Clayton on C&S RR, US 64 and 87. Ranchers received their mail and shipped cattle. map
- This page was last modified on 13 October 2010, at 15:48.
- This page has been accessed 1,267 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page