United KingdomEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, more commonly known as the United Kingdom or the UK, is a sovereign state located off the northwestern coast of continental Europe. It spans the whole of the island of Great Britain and the north-east part of the island of Ireland (although the whole of Ireland was part of the United Kingdom between 1801 and 1922).
The United Kingdom is a unitary state consisting of four countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
|Northern Ireland||1.3 million|
It is governed by a parliamentary system with its seat of government in London, England, but with three devolved national administrations in Belfast, Northern Ireland; Cardiff, Wales and Edinburgh, Scotland. England does not currently have its own national administration.
The United Kingdom is a member of the European Union and the United Nations. The individual countries have no representation in these organisations.
For genealogy purposes, see the individual countries:
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Great Britain Births and Baptisms (FSHR)
- Great Britain Marriages (FSHR)
- Great Britain Deaths and Burials (FSHR)
- UK Chelsea Pensioners' Service Records (FSHR)
- UKBMD.org.uk - an extensive gateway to numerous online databases for countries and counties throughout the United Kingdom of Great Britain (many cost-free)
- www.geograph.org.uk - a project which aims to collect geographically representative photographs and information for every square kilometre of Great Britain and Ireland
- www.deceasedonline.com - The central database for UK burials and cremations
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2015, at 22:44.
- This page has been accessed 41,987 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News