United States, Index to Indian Wars Pension Files (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: United States, Index to Indian Wars Pension Files, 1892-1926 .
The collection consists of a card index to pension files located at the National Archives for service in the Indian Wars between 1817 and 1898. The files are part of RG 15 Records of the Veterans Administration and is NARA microfilm publication T318. This collection includes records for the years 1892 to 1926.
For a list of records by surnames currently published in this collection, select the Browse.
Information found in this collection may include:
- Name of soldier
- Name and class of dependent
- Rank and unit in which served
- Date enlisted and discharged
- Additional Services
- Date of Filing
- Application Number
- Certificate Number
- Filing date
- State in which filed
How to Use the Record
To search for your ancestors in the index you will need to know their full names.
Search the Collection
Fill in your ancestor’s name in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
To search the collection image by image you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "Surname Range" which takes you to the images.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family. This information will often lead you to other records. For example:
- The application or certificate number will lead you to the full pension record.
- The enlistment date and branch of service will lead you to the military service record.
- The service information may lead to a death or cemetery record.
- The bounty land information may lead you to a land grant record.
- The name and class of dependents can help you compile a family record.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
If you are having difficulty finding your ancestor, look for variations in the spelling of the name. If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names. Remember that these indexes may contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
- National Archives Access to Military Service and Pension Records
- Family Link Military Records Search
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: United States Index to Indian Wars Pension Files, 1892-1926
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "United States, Index to Indian Wars Pension Files, 1892-1926" Index and Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing NARA microfilm publication T318. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.
- This page was last modified on 3 July 2014, at 08:56.
- This page has been accessed 3,103 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki