United States Census Manufacturing SchedulesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The information will be found as annotations on the regular census schedules found in National Archives microfilm publication M252, Third Census of the United States, 1810 (71 rolls).
Some regional archives of the National Archives contain microfilm copies for the schedules of the specific states in their region.
The Family History Library has very few copies, but it does have the following:
1820 Jackson County, Tennessee
1810 - Most have been lost. Those left are bound with the population schedules.
Most of the schedules for later years have been destroyed, but some still exist.
The quantity and quality of data in manufacturing schedules varies by census year.
1820 and 1850-1880:
1820, 1850, and 1860 reported:
- name of the manufacturer
- type of business or product
- amount of capital invested
- quantities, kinds, and value of raw materials used
- quantities, kinds, and value of product produced annually
- kind of power or machinery used
- number of men and women employed
- average monthly cost of male and female labor.
1860, 1870 referred to as "Industrial Schedules"
1870 - amount of detail increased.
1880 - supplemental schedules were also used for specific industries, such as for boot and shoemaking, lumber and saw mills, flour and grist mills.
Exclusions--Those manufacturing operations that produced less than $500 worth of goods.
It shows "sideline" businesses. Example - a man could be shown as "farmer" in population schedule and "tanner" in the manufacturing schedule.
Non-residents were inumerated - not limited to those living in particular township or county, thereby opening the possibility to additional connections.
- Indexes to Manufacturers' Census of 1820: An Edited Printing of the Original Indexes and Information (Reprint, Knightstown, Ind.: Bookmark, n.d.)
- Dollarhide, William. The Census Book: A Genealogist's Guide to Federal Census Facts, Schedules and Indexes. (Bountiful, Utah: Heritage Quest, 1999.) FHL Book 973.X27d.
- Szucs, Loretto Dennis and Wright, Matthew. Finding Answers in U.S. Census Records. (Orem, Utah: 2001 Ancestry) FHL Book 973 X27s.
- Szucs, Loretto Dennis and Luebking, Sandre Hargreaves, The Source, A Guidebook to American Genealogy. (Provo, Utah: 2006 Ancestry) FHL Book 973 D27ts.
- This page was last modified on 6 July 2012, at 23:00.
- This page has been accessed 4,116 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki