United States Census, 1880 (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the discussion page to post your comments.
NOTE: While the indexes are provided free of charge to everyone, Ancestry.com provides the images to this collection for free to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and at FamilySearch Centers. Otherwise, there will be a link from Historical Records to their web site where the images can be viewed. You will be instructed there on what you need to do to be able to access the image.
Question #1: Why are only some of the family names listed in the details on the index? How can I locate the entire family? How do I know if I have the entire family?
Answer #1: If a family group began at the end of a census page but some of the children were listed at the top of the next census page, those children were not compiled with the rest of the family. Use the Advanced Search feature to search by the name of the parent. This will yield separate records for the children but by comparing the names of parents, it is possible to assemble the family.
Question #2: I have an ancestor in who is linked to the incorrect image. How can I see the correct image?
Answer #2: There are issues where images are linked incorrectly. For example:
- In Riddot, Stephenson, Illinois, Image #47 on DGS 4240556 was missed in the upload of these images. It is page 2 in the Riddot, Stephenson, Illinois images. Microfilm #1254253 that can be ordered (See Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche) into a FamilySearch Center near you and viewed there.
- Salt Lake City, Utah, the enumerator needed more space for a family, so returned to a previous page where there was space and filled in with several families causing them to be linked incorrectly and in one case the family members were separated. There are families who are linked to page 32D, image 62 but are actually found on page 27A, image 51 in the browse point 4244809.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at email@example.com. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If browsing this collection: please include the full path you followed to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the Image viewer window.
For example:United States Census, 1880>004244802> Image 1 of 745.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered
Return to the United States Census, 1880 (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the United States Census, 1880 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 23 September 2013, at 05:33.
- This page has been accessed 1,026 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More