User:Klk3/sandbox5 wiki designEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
What is the Wiki
The FamilySearch Wiki is a resource for helping you find your ancestors, by enhancing your understanding of where and how to search for relevant information. It provides references and links to sources about:
- Places your ancestors lived
- Types of genealogical records available for specific places and dates
- Instructions on how to find, use, and analyze genealogically records.
- Instructions on how to conduct and organize your research
- Historical definitions of legal and other genealogical terms.
You search the wiki for context and sources; not for specific individuals or families. Specific individual and family information may be found in FamilySearch Family Tree, Historical Records, and Trees (Ancestral File, Pedigree Resource File, IGI).
Wiki Research Basics
Following are 5 Essential tips for understanding and using the wiki. "The things I wish I had known when I started using the wiki."
On the top left side of the page, you may see a Table of Contents box. It is a list of the major sections of the page. Click on any heading in that table and you'll be taken to that heading on the page. Smaller articles do not have a contents box.
On the right side of every page, there are three boxes which will enhance your Wiki experience.
- Search Learning & How-to's (top) is a search box. Type search terms in the box and then click on the magnifying glass to search the wiki. Or you can browse by clicking on by country or by topic.
- New to the Research Wiki (middle), guides you to basic information on the Wiki. Click on the Learn More line.
- Views, Toolbox, Community and Personal tools (bottom) are four sections separated by a thin white line. Hover over any section with your mouse and it will turn dark purple. Click on the dark purple bar to open the section and reveal a number of tools and tasks. Hover over the tool/task name and a yellow pop-up box will display a brief explanation of the topic. Click on the name to open the topic.
Watching a Page
Every day information is added to the wiki. Pages that relate to your research interests may change. An email will be sent to you when new information is added to the page–If you place a "watch" on that page. An almost effortless way to keep up with the latest information on the page. You must be registered to use this feature, so that the wiki knows your email address
Help:How to Register with the Wiki
All Wiki articles have an associated Talk Page, accessible via a tab at the top left of your page. Here people leave comments or questions about the content of that page. Check this page to see if there is additional information about the content of the page, or to post a question about related content that is not on the page. You must be registered to use this feature.
You can ask research questions here. Other genealogists will offer suggestions to help you answer the question, and hopefully extend your research. You may also find other genealogists with similar research interests and/or helpful information on the Forum that was posted by others.You must be registered to use this feature. Research Forum
- Note the 4 purple boxes on the right side of this page (Views, Toolbox, Community, Personal tools). This is knows as the "Navigation Bar" or "Nav Bar"
- Each of the boxes contains tools to help you use the wiki. Click Here to learn about these tools and how to use them..
Searching the Wiki
(how to find stuff)
- Basic Searches
- Watch a Video about searching the Wiki
- Search Tips
- Boolean Searches in the Wiki
- External Searches
|Watch a Video about searching the Wiki|| |
Communicating with Others
- Help:Communicating on the Wiki [link to the middle of the page]
- Wiki Community News
- Wiki Contributor Help Forum
About Genealogy Research --links to
ways to get involved
About specific wiki pages
- Talk pages
More About Researching on the Wiki
hand them off to Lee/Charles pages & Linda/Sandra/Rorie
Return to previous page
Go to Home page
User Pages: Benefits of having one, Suggestions for how to create on
- This page was last modified on 12 July 2013, at 16:40.
- This page has been accessed 2,847 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki