User:TaneyaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Taneya Y. Koonce is a medical librarian with 13+ years in information management & organization. Taneya has applied her professional experience in the identification, selection, evaluation, & critical analysis of information resources to her genealogy hobby pursuits. Her own quest in family history research started in 2006 after rediscovering family tree notes taken during interviews with her grandmothers approximately 10 years earlier. Taneya is an active volunteer with the national USGenWeb Project and is dedicated to helping others locate additional information to enrich their own family history knowledge. An active blogger (genealogy blog) and participant in the internet genealogy community, Taneya's particular interests lie heavily in technology and historical newspaper research.
- B.S. in Biology, B.A.in Religion - Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, 1997
- Masters of Science in Library Science - University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC - 1999
- Masters of Public Health - Vanderbilt University School of Medicine - 2010
- North Carolina Genealogical Society - 2010
- Washington County (NC) Genealogical Society - 2008-2009
- Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society - 2008-2009
USGenWeb Volunteer Activities
- TNGenWeb State Coordinator - since July 2011
- Blount County - county coordinator since October 2007.
- Madison County - county coordinator since Fall 2011
- Assistant State Coordinator #2,NCGenWeb Project - since July 2010
- Webmaster, NCGenWeb Project - since July 2009
- Martin County - county coordinator since 2008.
- Onslow County - county coordinator since August 2009.
- Jones County - county coordinator since September 2009.
- Wake County - county coordinator since January 2010.
- Washington County- county coordinator since August 2009.
- Assistant State Coordinator, FLGenWeb Project - since October 2010
- Hillsborough County - assistant county coordinator since July 2010
Taneya has created and maintains the following indexes:
- NCGenWeb Yearbook Index - database of (mostly) senior classes found in yearbooks from many NC colleges and universities. More than 20,000 names so far. Created in 2010.
- NC People in the News - database of names mentioned in various newspaper articles. Most entries are deaths reported in Raleigh newspapers, but entries also come from a few other North Carolina newspapers.
- Roanoke Beacon Index - database of articles appearing in this Plymouth (Washington County), NC newspaper from late 1800s to early 1900s. These entries will eventually be moved to the above-mentioned NC People in the Papers database.
- Kinston Free Press Index - database of articles appearing in this Kinston (Lenoir County), NC newspaper from late 1800s to early 1900s. These entries will eventually be moved to the above-mentioned NC People in the Papers database.
- Black Nashville - blog dedicated to the African-American history & genealogy of Nashville, Tennessee. Plans to move to online database format in 2011.
- Koonce Genealogy - blog dedicated to Koonce Family research
- Vanderbilt Family Genealogy - blog dedicated to the family tree of Cornelius "Commodore" Vanderbilt
- Genealogy Blog
- Family Tree Website - site uses a MySQL/PHP-based program, TNG: The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding
- Ancestry.com Profile
- Facebook Profile
- Koonce, Taneya Y. "Florida Students Attending North Carolina Colleges, Continued." The Florida Genealogist, Volume XXXXV, No. 2 (131), 2011. Florida Genealogical Society.
- Koonce, Taneya Y. "Florida Students Attending North Carolina Colleges." The Florida Genealogist, Volume XXXIV, No. 3 (132), 2011. F'lorida Genealogical Society
- Koonce, Taneya Y. "NC Yearbook Index." NCGS Newsletter: the Newsletter of the North Carolina Genealogical Society 34, No. 4 (Fall 2010): 8. North Carolina Genealogical Society. <http://www.ncgenealogy.org>.
- Koonce, Taneya Y., Tom McKnight, and Anna Williams. "Investigating Napier Connections in Alabama and Tennessee." Old Lawrence Reminiscences : a Bulletin of the Lawrence County Alabama Historical Commission. (2008). Print. (still working to verify complete citation)
- This page was last modified on 9 August 2014, at 09:46.
- This page has been accessed 823 times.