User:VasquezJL/Sandbox/AboutEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
In the Wiki, you will find:
- Links to record collections where your ancestor's information could be found.
- Research advice for how to approach research problems.
You won't search for individuals in the Wiki - instead, search for places and topics to discover the records that could contain your ancestors' information.
1. Determine what you want to know about an ancestor:
- Birth, marriage, death, immigration, etc.
- The type of record(s) that would contain that information.
- The location of the event
- The time period of the event
2. Then, in the Wiki:
- Search for pages about those locations. Review the resources shown on the page.
- On the main State and Country pages, see the Record Topics list on the left for more information.
- Check the wiki pages for all "levels" of jurisdiction - city, county, province, state, country.
- Think about the record trail we all leave behind and search for topics that would relate to those records - military, immigration, etc.
Additional advice can be found on:
- Get started in the Wiki
- Help:Keys to Success using the Wiki
- Success Stories
- Rookie Mistakes
- Family History for Beginners
- Identify What you Know
- Obtain and Search the Records
- Use the Information
- Researching in the FamilySearch Wiki: A Case Study(video)
One of the following articles can help you decide where to look first for a puzzling:
More about the using and contributing to the Wiki:
- The Vision: Why We Built FamilySearch Wiki
- Guiding Principles
- Purpose and Appropriate Topics
- Accuracy and collaboration
- Moderating the Wiki
- Content Organization, Browsing, and Categories
- Submitting images for approval
- Contributor Meetings
Learn more about ...
Keys to Success Using the Wiki
Help for Basic Searches in the Wiki
Getting Started in the Wiki
Family History for Beginners
- This page was last modified on 3 May 2013, at 01:32.
- This page has been accessed 826 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page