User:Yourgenealogist/East BridgewaterEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

United States Gotoarrow.png Massachusetts Gotoarrow.png Plymouth Gotoarrow.png East Bridgewater

Contents

Brief History

The area was first settled in 1660 as the outgrowth of Duxbury and the newly created Bridgewater (in 1656). The area became defined as the East Parish of Bridgewater in 1723. During this time, the area was in Plymouth Colony. The area was placed in Plymouth County when counties were formed in 1685. For a brief time, the town was part of the Dominion of New England from 1686 to 1689. The town is still in Plymouth County, though was in limbo, until the "Colony" was merged with Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1691 that became the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The area set off from Bridgewater in 1823 to form the town of East Bridgewater.

Historical Data[1]

Associated names

Village or section names include Beaver, Brown's Crossing, Cinder Hill, Curtisville, Eastville, Elmwood (formerly Joppa), Harmony, Matfield, Northville, Satucket, West Crook, Westdale, and Westlake.

Border changes
Dates Events
14 June 1823 Incorporated as a town from part of Bridgewater.
23 Feb. 1838 Border between East Bridgewater and Bridgewater established.
20 Mar. 1846 Border between East Bridgewater and Bridgewater established and part of each town annexed to the other.
11 Apr. 1857 Part of Halifax annexed and border established.
4 Mar. 1875 Part set off with part of Abington to create the new town of South Abington (now Whitman).
24 Apr. 1875 Part annexed to Brockton.
21 Apr. 1931 Border between East Bridgewater and Bridgewater established.
Top of Page

Town Histories

Works written on the town include:

Top of Page

Vital Records

File:MA_Plymouth_Co_East_Bridgewater_map.png
The town's vital records are available in many locations:
Original records
Published records
This includes, in part, church records from the First Church of East Bridgewater [from copies as originals are lost] (C.R.1), Union Church of East and West Bridgewater (C.R.2), and New Jerusalem Church, Elmwood (C.R.3). Deaths are included from Old Central Cem., Central St. (G.R.1), Hudson Tomb Cem. (G.R.2), Thayer Burying Ground (G.R.3), Whitman Burying Ground, Harvard St. Cem. (G.R.4), New Central Cem. off Hobart St. (G.R.5), Beaver Cem. (G.R.6), Union Congregational Cem., Pleasant St. (G.R.7), Elmwood Cem., West St. (G.R.8), and Northville Cem. (G.R.9).

Top of Page

Cemeteries

The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day East Bridgewater. Remember that this was part of "old" Bridgewater. For more details regarding these cemeteries, see the state guide under cemeteries for books on the subject.

  1. Beaver Cemetery, 1809. (A)
  2. Central Cemetery, 1846. (A)
  3. Hill or Smallpox Cemetery, n.d., off West St., Elmwood.
  4. Hudson Tomb, 1819.
  5. Joppa or Elmwood Cemetery, 1847. (A, B)
  6. Northville Cemetery, n.d. (A)
  7. Old Graveyard or Old Central Cemetery, 1685. (A, B)
  8. Osborne Cemeter Site, at 713 Pond St., n.d.
  9. Thayer Burying Ground, n.d.
  10. Union Cemetery, 1842. (A)
  11. Whitman Cemetery, 1816. (A, B)

Abstracts of the cemeteries above are marked and keyed to:
(A). Vital Records of East Bridgewater, Massachusetts, to the year 1850 (Boston, 1917) [see links above under Vital Records].
(B). Charles M. Thatcher, Old Cemeteries of Southeastern Massachusetts (Middleborough, Mass., 1995). WorldCat (Other Libraries); FHL book 974.4 V3

Top of Page

Churches

The following is a list of churches established in town in order of organization date (if known) and condition of records in the 1889 survey if listed.

  1. First Parish Church [Unitarian] (now Grace Bible Church), 1724, records good.
  2. Union Congregational Church, 1826, records good.
  3. New Jerusalem Church, 1838, records good.
  4. Satucket Methodist Protestant Church, 1842-1850, location of records unknown in 1889 [building purchased by the Roman Catholic Church].
  5. Trinitarian Congregational Church, 1849-1861, records in private hands in 1889.
  6. Methodist Episcopal Church, then Baptist Church, 1850-1860, records in private hands in 1889.
  7. Methodist Episcopal Church, 1857, records fair.
  8. St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church, 1863, condition not given.
  9. Universalist Church, n.d., location of records unknown in 1889.
  10. Abundant Faith Family Church, n.d.
  11. Community Covenant Church, n.d.
  12. East Bridgewater United Methodist Church, n.d.
  13. Elmwood New Church, n.d.
  14. Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnessess, n.d.
Top of Page

Newspapers

No newspapers have ever been published in East Bridgewater.

Top of Page

Libraries and Historical Societies

The following is list of research facilities in town:

East Bridgewater Public Library
32 Union Street
East Bridgewater MA 02333
Phone 508-378-1616

East Bridgewater Historical Society
175 Central Street
East Bridgewater MA 02333
No phone or website

References

  1. William Francis Galvin, Historical Data Relating to Counties, Cities and Towns in Massachusetts (Boston, new ed., 1997), 43. WorldCat (Other Libraries); FHL book 974.4 H2h 1997
Adjacent towns: Plymouth Co: Bridgewater | Brockton | Halifax | Hanson | West Bridgewater | Whitman

  • This page was last modified on 8 May 2012, at 14:56.
  • This page has been accessed 360 times.